Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 am 
Old School Grand Master

When we moved to Penarth in 2010 we paid a deposit to our landlord, which was put into the Deposit Protection Scheme.

Our landlord lives in Australia, and he has a letting agent in Penarth who is managing the property.

We have since moved out of the property (the final day of our tenancy was last Saturday - 2nd March). The letting agent conducted a final inspection of the property on Thursday 28th February (we actually moved out a few days previously). The final inspection was absolutely fine, and there were no problems reported apart from the fact that the seal on the bottom of the shower door needed replacing as it was worn, and the bathroom sealant needed replacing as, again, it was past its best. I explained to the letting agent that I was not happy to replace either of these things myself, as I did not want to be liable for them should a problem arise with them in future. Not only that, but I did not feel that it was our responsibility as tenants to do so.

It was our understanding at the time that neither of these issues would affect our deposit in any way, as they constituted "reasonable wear and tear" as set out in the T+Cs of our tenancy agreement.

We initiated a repayment request on the DPS website as soon as the final inspection had taken place, and we were of the understanding that repayment of our deposit would take place as soon as a report had been completed by the letting agent and emailed to our landlord.

This report was completed and sent on Saturday 2nd March.

It is now the 7th March and we have heard absolutely nothing, either from the letting agent or, more worryingly, from our landlord who up until now, has been very good at responding to emails.

I realise that at the moment it's too soon to start a claim against our landlord as it's only been 4-5 days. However I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had dealings with the DPS, and how long it usually takes to get a deposit back (assuming that there are no disputes).

Any advice would be welcomed, thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 am 
Retro Guru

i know nothing on this subject, but 3 working days dude. chill.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:23 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

I believe it can take up to two weeks for the deposit to be put back into your bank.

Alison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 am 
Retro Guru

Agree with the above, i've been through this twice, once it was about a week, the other 2 weeks so don't start sweating yet, thing is with the DPS is you should have half the account details of where the deposit is (usually a pin number to go with the DPS account number the landlord/agent has), the idea being that neither the landlord or the tenant has sole rights to do what they want with the money, both parties need to be in agreement of the amount to be given back/kept.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 am 
Old School Grand Master

Thanks for the advice.

I'm aware that it's only been a few days and I know that these things can take time. I'm just a bit p**sed that the landlord hasn't had the decency to even get in touch with us since about a fortnight before we moved out.

I don't mind there being a delay in getting the money back to us - I'd have just appreciated it if we could have been kept 'in the loop' as it were, so that we know what's going on rather than sitting here having to guess!!

On another note - Our landlord didn't declare to either his mortgage lender or HMRC that he had moved out and was renting the property. Naughty naughty...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Oh well, there is your leverage then if things get difficult!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

Yes, it can take some time. Couple of weeks is normal.

No, he tenant does not have to agree what happens to the money. The agent and landlord need to agree costs to get back to original state, aside from fair wear and tear. ie how much to bring in a contractor/decorator etc to put right. Depends on agents how much this ends up. You can appeal after, but good luck, as usually good evidence to back up by agency.

Been tenant and am landlord. It always ends up shit from both sides tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 am 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

Oh, we told mortgage company, and made no difference at all to anything, they didn't care!

If it was pointed out these things needed doing, and you didn't do it, expect a bill...