Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:32 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:27 pm
Posts: 205
J had a Rab Ascent bivi,light and small,but f'ing annoying with all it's flopping on yer face business.

Got a vaude 1 now,bit heavier with coupla poles,slightly less annoying,starting to think that you need to spend a few hundred to get anything really light and not annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 417
Location: stockton on tees
theredchili wrote:
Try Alpkit, got one for theirs for about £25 a few years back, good quality and value.



think ill be ordering one of these! exactly what i was looking for and a great price too
thanks very much :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am 
98+ Moderator
98+ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 4098
Location: Single Speeding in the Capital of the FoD,UK
dav101 wrote:
theredchili wrote:
Try Alpkit, got one for theirs for about £25 a few years back, good quality and value.



think ill be ordering one of these! exactly what i was looking for and a great price too
thanks very much :D



No probs, I had one for a while and they work well. I now have a Mountain Equipment Gore-tex one which is a little more hard core, used it for Bivving at altitude in the Swiss Alps and in -20 in the Welsh Mountains the other Christmas when we had that cods spell!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:09 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 417
Location: stockton on tees
i wont be using it for anything that hardcore, got a terranova quasar for when i go walking/hiking, as theres always a few of us so we just split the outer, inner and poles between us. its the space and weight saving im after, as i only use a 65 litre rucksack and a handlebar pack when i venture out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:14 pm 
98+ Moderator
98+ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 4098
Location: Single Speeding in the Capital of the FoD,UK
dav101 wrote:
i wont be using it for anything that hardcore, got a terranova quasar for when i go walking/hiking, as theres always a few of us so we just split the outer, inner and poles between us. its the space and weight saving im after, as i only use a 65 litre rucksack and a handlebar pack when i venture out



Quaser's are the best tents, I've lived in one for weeks on end !
The Hunka is the one to go for then, only problem with Alpkit is if between production runs your have to wait for them


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:13 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 am
Posts: 414
Location: Near the fire escape
Get a bivi bag with a single pole. I've a terra nova one from a few years back.
Poled ones feel much less like sleeping in a sack.
I also use an Ortleib dry bag as a rucksack liner which I put the rucksack into at night. Much cosier than having kit in the bivi. Also means not having to have wet kit inside.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:13 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 417
Location: stockton on tees
theredchili wrote:
dav101 wrote:
i wont be using it for anything that hardcore, got a terranova quasar for when i go walking/hiking, as theres always a few of us so we just split the outer, inner and poles between us. its the space and weight saving im after, as i only use a 65 litre rucksack and a handlebar pack when i venture out



Quaser's are the best tents, I've lived in one for weeks on end !
The Hunka is the one to go for then, only problem with Alpkit is if between production runs your have to wait for them



they are an amazing bit of kit like, my old boss had the voyager which are ok but a tad small imo but real aerodynamic, good for one man and his dog though!


i've heard of the bivvies with one pole but wasnt sure who made them or where i could get one! i dont mind the "sleeping in a sack" thing, but thats the only type ive ever used so dont know the difference between poled and non poled. the hunka looks good though cause it seems it doesnt flop all over your face!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 pm
Posts: 1181
Location: wales
Picked up a Marmot lined bivi bag a few years ago, brilliant piece of kit and is used regularly as an extra layer to the sleeping bag, no room for a pack but always put everything into an Ortileb bag to keep it dry (or drier) super light and compact.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:10 am
Posts: 4471
Location: Bristol
Great thread! Post up links to your recommendations too please! Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], one-eyed_jim and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group