Crows, anyone else hate 'em

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
All I can here is the bloomin crows, I can hardly hear any song birds around, they are there but are drowned out by trees full of the bloody flying black rats.

It's noise pollution. Do any others of you country folk suffer this nightmare?

Alison

Isaac_AG":2ifkk4be said:
All I can here is the bloomin crows, I can hardly hear any song birds around, they are there but are drowned out by trees full of the bloody flying black rats.

Alison

It's a part of country life. Live with it or move back to the town ;). Like townies who move to country complaining about cock crow. :roll:

B77":2rr0hfld said:
Isaac_AG":2rr0hfld said:

Alison

It's a part of country life. Live with it or move back to the town ;). Like townies who move to country complaining about cock crow. :roll:

I've lived in the country all my life, I'll probably die in it too, but I never came across crows till I moved to North Yorkshire, now they're everywhere like pests. I don't mind the cocks crowing they don't tend to do it all the time.

Actually I kind of resent being called a townie, I was brought up on a small holding we had cows, sheep, pigs, goats hens (and cockerels) and geese so I'm quite used to country living.

Alison

are you sure you mean crows?, if it's trees full it's more likely to be rooks (which are a noisy lot, especially morning and evening). The old adage is, 'if you see a rook it's a crow, if you see crows then they're rooks'.

Matt70":1ezujntv said:
are you sure you mean crows?, if it's trees full it's more likely to be rooks (which are a noisy lot, especially morning and evening). The old adage is, 'if you see a rook it's a crow, if you see crows then they're rooks'.

Probably rooks then, the villagers do have a cull on them occasionally as they are in there thousands, sweeping out of the trees, I'm sure they threaten the livelihood of the songbirds :(

Alison

Isaac_AG":igr4rxzo said:
Matt70":igr4rxzo said:

Probably rooks then, the villagers do have a cull on them occasionally as they are in there thousands, sweeping out of the trees, I'm sure they threaten the livelihood of the songbirds :(

Alison

Yep and for the decline of the songbirds you can blame industrial farming for grubbing up the hedgerows, as many songbirds natrual habitat is in dense cover, open coppiced woodland does them no favours, not the crow, rooks, magpies, grey squirrels. Ideally speaking we shold eat them, same as the rabbits that are prevalent on heathland, farmland golf coursesand motorway embankments but we have become so far removed from nature we can't bring ourselves to make a meal of them.
I'm not having a pop or calling you a townie at all but sadly we have an idelised view of 'the countryside' when practically everything we see has been created by the hand of man.

My father once told me that they often used to have rook pie when he was young - they'd just use the breast meat from young rooks.
We have several large rookeries round here but I like seeing (and hearing) them, I don't see how they're a threat to other bird species as they don't compete for the same foods. Anyway, there are still lots of blackbirds, thrushes, robins and wrens around here, so there can't be too much of a conflict of interests.

Back