Is flying really scary?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I live in England the furthest I've travelled is ........... dare I say it ......................... Wales :D

My son on school trips has been to Austria, France, Belgium on his own money been to Greece and Bulgaria and is planning to go to Thailand.

Why does anyone dare go to even France on a plane knowing they are so flimsy?

Why have I let my son do it?

I'm scared just sitting here thinking about it

Alison

You should try it, it's rather fun :)

Planes aren't "flimsy", a bike is flimsy in comparison, and far less safe than a plane :D

My life would be about 1/1000th as rich as it is now if it weren't for the magic of air travel.
Planes are ace. Airports, on the other hand, are almost as appalling as trains.

It really isn't that scary (flying on an airliner, anyway.) There can be moments which could give you a scare, and if you thought too much about it or stared out the window a lot you might have second thoughts, but honestly it's just not that frightening.

I hate heights and I'm OK with flying - I've been gliding a few times and although that is vastly more like "real flying" than sitting on a flying bus even that is more fun than terrifying.

Travelling on biggish airliners is mostly not too different to sitting on a bus or train unless you start over-thinking - they are really pretty strong and doubtless considerably safer than cycling!

depending on what and where its statistically safer than car or train so really no worries

PS flew back from Rio on the red eye today, no probs...........

i love flying but hate cars, i wouldent call it a fear but i recon my fear or cars is more rational than your fear of flying :)

You get some fantastic views out the windows on a plane, it's worth it for that alone, especially when you get up above the clouds... a blanket of clouds below you and bright sunshine and deep blue sky above & around. It's ace!

Had flown a bit when I was younger, but hadn't flown anywhere (or been anywhere) since '96, started going places with my GF in 07. So wasn't used to and found on the first few flights, that taking off was quite scary, you watch the ground fall away, and while it is quite a veiw and interesting/cool, couldnt help thinking for the first 10 minutes, it it conks out, its gunna be a nasty long fall. But after that I'm fine. Have flown a bit since 07 and am more used to it, but still can't shake those first few minutes...or last 15 if its a turbulent flight.

Worst thing was, 1st overseas trip, flew from hobart to melbourne, then a big long layover, then out flight was 1 hour melbourne to sysdney then 17 to san fransisco on a 747. The 1 hour trip mel, to syd, was terrible, bouncing all over the place, GF and I were like...er, this sucks, is it the weather, the pilot or is jsut that we're on a bigger plain...then syd, the SF, not a bump, smooths as you like.

Flying is awesome.
Having said that the first time i flew everything was great until on landing the sidepanels of the jet engines on the wings opened up, something to do with slowing the plane down i now know, the world very nearly fell out of my bottom at the time :shock:

By far the best way to travel long distances which is why planes are hardly ever used in Top Gear cross continent races :D

Flying is only scary if you crash.

Flying at night through a thunderstorm is great. Flyinbg over the Alps on a clear day is also great.

Latest posts

Back