plumbing tools

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
having the need to do some general plumberage around the flat, i'd be interested to know any recommendation sof r agood basic set of plumbing tools to get the jobs done easily.
things like - overly tight/seized tap headgear etc....

i have things like adjustable spanners, a basin wrench, PTFE tape, a steadily growing collection of parts like washers, o-rings and rubber seals.
but things like stilsons, monkey grips, locking pliers, tounge and groove pliers etc... there is a sea of cheap ones, expensive ones and all the ones inbetween.
i can look at lists all day on the internet, but most are american and not a lot would mention brands either.
anyone got some names they would put their recommendation to? also, sizes of tools will help (common sizes/handle lengths that are useful to know etc..)

A workmate used to work for a piping company and has a set of berner branded mole grips. They auto adjust, a little stiff to get off but seems inherent of the design. Needles to say, i want a set.

Ja ja bahco. Never in 16 years have I used mole grips or stilsons. Channel lock pliers and adjustables in a could of sizes should be all you'll need. As for ptfe, use 'multi' wrap rather than single and only use it on joints where the thread makes the seal and not on 'olives'.

DIY-not is a very good forum for plumbing advice, but as with any forum there are a few 'characters' that like to put the diyers down.

Never attempt DIY gas work. You'll kill yerself and put me out of work :)

Some proper pipe benders. I like to know there are as few joints as possible. Decent quality cutters, cheap ones are a false economy.

Not a plumber, but I have done a ton of plumbing!

Worth getting a certified plumber in if you have done major work, to look it over.

I don't know how much they cost, but I've only used my benders a hAndfull if times in my life. Bearing in mind the skill it takes to use them properly or the cost in copper if you don't, I'd say if you want bends and not elbows then pay someone to do it right the first time.
Even though I try to charge as little as possible, as with many DIY jobs, it cost a lot more to fix a **** up than to do it right the first time.

That said I'm more than happy to give any advice I can.

I'd definitely second the proper pipe bender recommendation... it might take a few practice runs initially to see how to get the bend exactly where you want but it's not that hard (if I can do it I'm sure most people can!)... so much better than messing with springs or using a horrible sea of elbows.

I'm pretty sure that you can get them reasonably cheaply, at a quality good enough for occasional use. There's something very satisfying about surveying a nice neat run of smoothly bent copper piping!

My favourite plumbing tool is the Monument Autocut... fantastic.

Remember to keep it greased and it'll last forever. I'm still using the same monument cutters I got as an apprentice!

Back