Curiosity about car insurance

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not mine, I'm happy with that but my son's.

My son is 20 and he is thinking of buying a small engine Fiesta. After finding one he was interested in he put it into one of those insurance search sites. Third party was, give or take, £1800 while fully comp was, give or take, £900. Why is this so? I would have thought that fully comp was way more expensive.

Alison

People who get fully comp *tend* to have newer cars, which *tend* not to be ragged and abused. So fully comp can be cheaper than the TPFT insurance. Because as far as the insurance company is concerned, the Fully Comp driver is a lower risk.

(lots of other factors at play though)

The other trick is to get a grandad car, Volvo 440 or something. No one under 50 has ever bought (or crashed) one. So the insurance is a pittance.

Insurance is high for cars the insurance company think are going to get thrashed............v reg Clio we have is more expensive to insure than a brand new one.

Assumption is that the 17 year old will crash the cheap Clio but look after a new one.

Shaun

I was looking at insuring a 65hp diesel Clio and it was something like £400+. Looked up a Honda Civic 1.8 VTI estate which is something like 167bhp and it was £370 fully comp...

mattr":wtstj4l3 said:
The other trick is to get a grandad car, Volvo 440 or something. No one under 50 has ever bought (or crashed) one. So the insurance is a pittance.

I crashed my mums 440 10 days after I passed my test when I was 17. A wall jumped out on me :oops:

Bought one a few years ago too, but didn't crash that. Nice car when it worked

Pyro Tim":1k8c095i said:
mattr":1k8c095i said:

Nice car when it worked

You been drinkin'?

What about the 850 I had that in the T5 version although not cheap on the old insurance for a 20 year old

Back