Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:18 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 am 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

Any old bike parts for struggling artist?

Is there anywhere I can get old chainrings, freewheels, sprockets and chains for free for a project I'm working on?

I'm talking about the "tis ready for the knackers yard" kind of stuff. I'm looking for stuff people don't want anymore.

I'm a struggling artist looking for stuff and I've visited the bike shops in my area (West Sussex) but they've only got a few bits here and there, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a shedload of stuff?

If there's any bike shops whom want to pass on their knackered repairs or ol' unrepairable stuff, then I would be eternally grateful. :D

Thanks x :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 am 
Retro Guru

I think most areas have a bike recycling scheme where they take bikes from the dump, renovate them and sell them on. I reckon one of those would sort you out with what you want, and probably display some of your work too. A quick Google turned up this list, which may not be comprehensive http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/recycling/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:18 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Our local dump/recycling centre put all the bikes to one side, and you can buy them for a few £s (better ones cost upto £10!!)

Worth a try?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
scottmac wrote:

Is there anywhere I can get old chainrings, freewheels, sprockets and chains for free for a project I'm working on?

I'm talking about the "tis ready for the knackers yard" kind of stuff. I'm looking for stuff people don't want anymore.

I'm a struggling artist looking for stuff and I've visited the bike shops in my area (West Sussex) but they've only got a few bits here and there, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a shedload of stuff?

If there's any bike shops whom want to pass on their knackered repairs or ol' unrepairable stuff, then I would be eternally grateful. :D

Whereabouts in West Sussex are you? I've some tired bits I haven't been able to shift on the 2nd-hand market, which you're welcome to. From time to time I nip over to Chichester for Saturday afternoon shopping (as well as Tuesday evening racing at West Stoke/Funtington in the summer) and could pass them on to you whilst there.

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:35 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

BobToo wrote:
I think most areas have a bike recycling scheme where they take bikes from the dump, renovate them and sell them on. I reckon one of those would sort you out with what you want, and probably display some of your work too. A quick Google turned up this list, which may not be comprehensive http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/recycling/

Thanks for the list BobToo - I'll check it out.

Our local dump staff just looked at me as if I was an alien... and then I realised they were 90% Polish and the other 10% couldn't give a toss. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

David B wrote:
scottmac wrote:

Whereabouts in West Sussex are you? I've some tired bits I haven't been able to shift on the 2nd-hand market, which you're welcome to. From time to time I nip over to Chichester for Saturday afternoon shopping (as well as Tuesday evening racing at West Stoke/Funtington in the summer) and could pass them on to you whilst there.

David

David you have a PM :wink: