Cut Throat Razors ?

magicmistertea

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
does anyone know anything about cut throat razors ?

Ive just aquired a few vintage sets. In particular i have a two day set made by mappin and webb they have "nulle secondus"engraved on the blade. I think they might have ivory handles but im not sure ? they are in a nice little wooden box enlayed with green felt.

I can find some similar pics on the net but i cant seem to find out if they are worth anything or not ?

Thought id ask on here before i signed up to retrorazor.co.uk !! :LOL:

i was tempted to buy one from e bay i noticed there were quite a few old with lots off bids
sorry i cant be any more help

you can buy a wilkinson sword kit with cutthroat razor shaving soap brush etc they also include 50 plasters (cant remember the exact name) this put me off some what

does anyone have any tips for using one safely

dan28":17pdapi7 said:

Practice on a balloon with shaving foam on it. Don't go near your face until you can remove all the foam off the ballon without it bursting.

I've never tried a cut throat, but I do use an old style safety razor - this one: http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/en/Merkur/4132669-merkur-hd-34c-safety-razor-chrome.html, together with a shaving brush and soap.

I got totally fed up with the ludicrous price of the replacement blades for the latest 3,4 and 5 blade nonsense. You can buy 30 Feather Razor blades for about £5.00 on Ebay and they are very, very sharp; you can get a much closer shave than you can with a modern multi blade razor.

Tazio":2jq8x6ix said:
dan28":2jq8x6ix said:

Practice on a balloon with shaving foam on it. Don't go near your face until you can remove all the foam off the ballon without it bursting.

^ Apparently, this is how olde schoole barbers would train their juniors.

I've been meaning to try a cut-throat for a while, I usually go for a week or so between shaves and it's hellish annoying trying to clean between the blades on those flashy 4-blade cartridges. Not to mention the fact that they only seem to last for 2 or 3 uses.

EDIT: Oh, and a money-saving tip: instead of using shaving foam/gel, buy cheapo hair conditioner. It's weird to begin with as it doesn't lather up, but it works just as well.

MTFU :LOL: . I have a couple of these and yes i do use them auto sharpen and strop, brush and shave stick.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 359
Oh, and a money-saving tip: instead of using shaving foam/gel, buy cheapo hair conditioner.

Or use a shaving stick, an Erasmic Shaving Stick costs about 60 or 70 pence at the chemist, lasts for months and gives a better shave than any gel or foam I've tried. It's best with a shaving brush, but you can try it by just rubbing the stick on your chin (or legs for you roadies) and lathering it a bit with you fingers. The most important thing is to wet your beard/bristles well first to soften them; I always shave right after I get out of the shower.

xerxes":131mr6pl said:
Oh, and a money-saving tip: instead of using shaving foam/gel, buy cheapo hair conditioner.

Or use a shaving stick, an Erasmic Shaving Stick costs about 60 or 70 pence at the chemist, lasts for months and gives a better shave than any gel or foam I've tried. It's best with a shaving brush, but you can try it by just rubbing the stick on your chin (or legs for you roadies) and lathering it a bit with you fingers. The most important thing is to wet your beard/bristles well first to soften them; I always shave right after I get out of the shower.

Damn....you guys beat me to it with the assorted top tips; I was about to say that hair conditioner works an absolute treat for us posers, erm, I mean road riders who have legs as well as faces to attend to. Not with the same razor, obviously.

David

Back