Morrissey wasn't the only twat in the Smiths...

To be honest, I think David Cameron shoud be banned from listening to the Smiths. What next, is he going to proclaim his love for the Clash!

What a pair of bufoons, morrisey and marr. The shouldn't record music if they don't want people to listten to it and it is nothing to do with them who listens to it.

Don't Cammeroon but he should be allowed to listen to whatever he wants.

I must say I've always loved the Smiths and am surprised that Cameron likes them. I imagine when you make music for a sector and someone who is against everything you and your music stand for likes it it could be a bit infuriating like they are infiltrating your cliquey group.

Alison

They are only stating their views, and standing by their principles. With a certain amount of dry wit, not something your average Cameron supporter might appreciate.

The Smiths did more for the UK than Cameron's crowd ever will.

highlandsflyer":23e6jj0i said:
The Smiths did more for the UK than Cameron's crowd ever will.

Please expand!

As a musician you might not like someone, but to tell them they aren't allowed to listen to your music is absolute head up your own arse arrogance of the highest order. I'm no DC fanboy, but Johnny Marr is just making himself look like a prize nobhead saying this, funnily enough just after his God Like Genius Award too, I can see his head swelling from here.

Marr is one of the greatest musicians to have walked the earth, and was in one of the most iconic bands of all time. If anyone's achievements merit a swollen head Marr's do.

He knows he cannot personally select his fans. He says as much if anyone cares to put things in context.

That leaves his remarks as clear irony, and arrogance is never ironic.

Despite the significant Rickenbacker content, I have always found the Smiths unbearable to listen to. Dingy, dismal dirges without any kind of redeeming merit, sung badly.

It was quite fascinating for me a few years ago to discover Daniel Earwicker's one-man instrumental Smiths covers/"interpretations" on YouTube - they were great! Not exactly earth-shattering in inventiveness but played tunefully and without that awful unbearable groaning superimposed.

Morrisey and the Smiths were and are about as musically significant as a particularly smelly blocked drain. David Cameron's fondness for them is just further proof of his lack of suitability for the position of responsibility he occupies...

Didn't DC once rate Eton Rifles as one of his favourite songs? Pretty much sums up his level of musical knowledge...

Back