Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:39 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
Neil wrote:
Isaac_AG wrote:
Just wondering when you go through these carphone warehouse/phones4u websites can you get insurance, I cannot see that option and I'm not buying a phone without it. I have to use websites as I'm too far away to travel to go to an actual shop.

Alison

Just one thing to mention regarding insurance - sometimes you may have cover for phone insurance through things like bank accounts - I know the bank that provides my current account, provides comprehensive travel insurance, breakdown insurance, phone insurance, "gadget" insurance and probably some others, too. Other times some household policies cover mobile phones, too.

Just worth checking it's not covered by something you've got already.


We never upgraded our current accounts to cover these facilities because most of the insurances they offer we don't need and our mobile insurance was cheaper than the £12 per month they wanted for the upgrade.

I do like having mobile insurance though as I have three young children who are not all that delicate, and I've dropped it in the past.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Hampshire
sylus wrote:
or could it be in a market full of good stuff ...apple are not as good anymore and people are looking for value for money

sheep? you must be talking about those people queuing the day before an apple release and then present themselves as cutting edge because they have an apple product?


Totally agree, i'm not a slave to Apple products but i like the way they work and are simple for simple people like me to use. I've tried Android on a number of handsets and really don't like it, it's fiddly and for me not very intuitive. I do like the Windows setup on the Nokia Lumia, seems to make more sense to me and i want to try the new Blackberry but in all honesty it'll have to be great to stop me changing to an iPhone 5.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 am 
South East AEC
South East AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 3882
Talk to your current contract provider, when you say you want to leave the deals get better !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3974
Location: Brighton
TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Talk to your current contract provider, when you say you want to leave the deals get better !


not necessarily true. i just told 02 i wont be renewing my contract. i got my pak code sent to me while i was on the phone telling them i was leaving.
not a dicky bird since.
my contract expires in a couple of weeks.
but to be honest, i dont think they have anything i want deal wise. seen giff gaffs sim only deal for £12 a month 250mins, unlimited text and 1GB data per month. which should be fine for someone changing to a smartphone - i'll use the internet more on one of them fings :)
just need to sell an organ to buy a handset :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
twain wrote:
TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Talk to your current contract provider, when you say you want to leave the deals get better !



just need to sell an organ to buy a handset :)


Go for a portion of your liver as it grows back in a couple of months and you'll have it to sell again when you want to upgrade :D

I have to go for contract as doing this my husband budgets for it, if I went PAYG he'd stop budgeting for it and just keep telling me we can't afford it so contract it must be.

I closed one of our Orange accounts, my son's, when he left school and they did not try to offer us any deals to keep us.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3974
Location: Brighton
thing is, i try not to be insulted because at the end of the day, i couldn't give a crap if 02 cares if i stay or not. but, i've been with 02 since it was 'BT cellnet', you'd think they'd entertain my 'loyalty' with a couple of 'what are you looking for' or 'did you see a better deal' type questions being as i've been a customer of theirs for 10years+....i despise the word 'loyalty' in context of customer/business relationships.

i'm really struggling to justify spending as much money as these handset seem to demand! i do seem to have expensive taste as well :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:08 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
twain wrote:
TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Talk to your current contract provider, when you say you want to leave the deals get better !

not necessarily true. i just told 02 i wont be renewing my contract. i got my pak code sent to me while i was on the phone telling them i was leaving.
not a dicky bird since.
my contract expires in a couple of weeks.
but to be honest, i dont think they have anything i want deal wise. seen giff gaffs sim only deal for £12 a month 250mins, unlimited text and 1GB data per month. which should be fine for someone changing to a smartphone - i'll use the internet more on one of them fings :)
just need to sell an organ to buy a handset :)

I've done that too - rang, said I wanted my PAC code, because I was leaving - no argument or question at the time, they just did it - however, in the interim, retentions rang me to try and persuade me to stay with them. Don't think I've ever left anywhere like that without somebody ringing to try and persuade me.

Truth be told, I did - and sometimes still do - use it as a technique to try and get a better deal - which largely worked. The last time I did so, though, it was for real, because I knew they'd never match the new deal I was getting, and true enough, when retentions rang, they couldn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 7058
Location: The land of Lea & Perrins
Here's my 2p worth. I'm repeating a lot of what has already been said but it's just easier for me that way, rather than trying to pick up on things which haven't been mentioned!

iPhone
Fantastic build quality. Good screen (although not the best in terms of resolution and colour saturation, despite what Apple tell you), simple OS (although now looking dated), easy to use, fashionable. HORRENDOUSLY EXPENSIVE if you want the iPhone 5. More reasonable if you want the 4S or 4.

Android
So much choice!! More open operating system (although arguably more complicated to use and more difficult to get used to). Handsets available with a MUCH better spec than the iPhone (eg. Galaxy S3, HTC One X and One X plus, Galaxy Note, Nexus 4 etc etc), and for much less money. Less fashionable than the iPhone.

Windows Phone 7
No. Just no.

Windows Phone 8
Lovely OS, VERY different from Android and iOS. Very easy to get used to and fairly easy to customise (although not as easy as Android). Nowhere near as many apps available as on Android and iOS, but the majority of the main apps are there.

Blackberry
I can't comment on the newly released Z10 and the new OS as I've never used it. However, reading the reviews it's fairly apparent that there's nothing new which hasn't already been done with Android/iOS/WP8.


Any smartphone will have all of the features you need, so I've broken it down like this:

- For ease of use, choose an iPhone (I'd go for the iPhone 5 if you're planning on a 2 year contract).
- For ease of customisation and personalisation, and a wider choice of handsets (and therefore tariffs), choose Android. Personally I'd look at either the Galaxy S3, Nexus 4 or HTC One X Plus.
- For something completely different and (in my opinion) very very nice, choose Windows Phone 8 and go for either the HTC 8X or the Nokia Lumia 920.

I have based my opinions on my own personal experience, having owned all of the following (yes, I'm a phone tart):

iOS - All iPhones from the 2G through to the 5.

Android - HTC Desire, HTC Desire HD, HTC One X, HTC One X Plus, Sony Ericsson XPeria Arc, Sony Xperia U, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Windows Phone 7 - HTC HD7, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia Lumia 900

Windows Phone 8 - HTC 8X, Samsung Ativ S



I'm currently using a HTC One X Plus and I absolutely love it. 64gb of storage, a brilliant camera, lovely screen and excellent build quality (unlike the Galaxy S3 it has to be said). It also has a 'battery saver' mode, which essentially shuts down 3 of the 4 cores, and switches off mobile data when the phone has been locked for 15 minutes. It makes absolutely no discernable difference to the performance of the phone (emails and notifications still get pushed through properly and the phone is still blisteringly fast), but means that it has some of the best battery life I've ever experienced in a smartphone.. I can get through a whole day of moderate/heavy usage (twitter, facebook, texting, emails, internet) and still have 75% battery remaining by the evening. In smartphone terms that's pretty astonishing. To give an idea, when I had my iPhone 4 and used it in a similar way I was down to around 40% by the evening, so it's almost double the battery life with the battery saver mode switched on. I've just checked now and my battery is at 91%. It was taken off charge at 6am this morning and I've been using it a fair bit.


I'll probably look to get either the Sony Xperia Z or the HTC M7/One when it's released.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3974
Location: Brighton
my only beef with the HTCs and Samsungs is the size. they're massive!
i'm leaning toward the Sony Xperia Ray - i want a better brwosing phone (i have blackberry curve 9300) so anything with a bigger screen that that would be great. but i dont like the monsters that i'm seeing with the likes of the S2 or S3 and HTC One x+.
the screen on the Ray is touted as being a bit too small, so is there something a little bigger than this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Personally, I'm not convinced with Android on a mobile phone - yes it can make very good multi-purpose devices, and I'm quite happy with it for them and things like tablets, but all the phones I've sampled, have not actually been very good at being actual phones (ie that side of the functionality hasn't been either good, well thought out, or worked well in practice).

For iPhones, I think they generally tend to be reasonably feature rich and a good all-round balance. Now-and-again, there's the odd weakness where they do get the occasional thing wrong, which tends to either get bluff-or-blustered or hand-waved about. Yes, sure, I think there's more people get drawn to their products based on trends, memes and attitudes than function - but then function over form isn't for everyone. Personally, I avoid Apple consumer devices, not because I'm a hater, per se, but because I don't like some of the restrictive decisions they often make, the way in which you largely have to use them (iTunes) and cost seems high, largely based on perceived desirability.

For a while I did like Nokia's Symbian OS, but they went astray with it, really. Often very good hardware - I still find my N8 an excellent handset, and am perfectly happy with my N8 running Symbian Anna. I have another N8 running Belle, and although I don't hate the improved look and feel, and swishyness, they've dumbed down, removed, or neutered a lot of the things I find truly useful on my Anna handset. Symbian dying out was probably something of a inevitability - and truth be told, I'm rather ambivalent, really - whilst I am happy with it in some respects, I don't know as it had any true advantage - the bigger pull was that in some examples, it was run on some very nicely spec'd handsets by Nokia. As to them moving to Windows mobile, I'm somewhat ambivalent - I've only really played briefly with their handsets, having setup a couple for relatives.

BlackBerries have always seemed very purposeful, and most seem to be able to get the communicatiion thing done with them well - be it actual conversation, or various kinds of messaging. I have a PlayBook as well as a couple of Android tablets, and have to say, the OS on the PlayBook is truly superb, simple, yet efficient to use, snappy, easy to control what's running, as opposed to, say, Android having it assume it can do all that for you. Sure there are some gaps in app support, but the OS on the PlayBook is superb - truly - and it's party piece of true multi-tasking, is rather cool. The gestures and easy dealing with opening, moving between, and closing apps is very slick, and given I've probably spent more time using Android on a tablet that the BB PlayBook OS, I have to say, it's only taken me a very brief period to prefer the way the PlayBook operates (and it is quite reminiscent of WebOS).

I've only briefly played with a Z10, but BB10 is an evolution of the PlayBook's OS (ie QNX, just that BB10 has taken that a little further), so I'd be completely happy with how it works, how you use it and how you can control it (that hasn't changed as I understand it).

Personally, I think I may go for a BlackBerry handset at contract renewal point - especially if a BB10 handset comes within my budget. I'm not convinced with any of the other major players, and if nothing else, the forerunner, in terms of OS, to BB10, is, by itself, worthy of admiration, so I'll probably go for a BlackBerry of some point - because any will likely work well with my PlayBook, and a BB10 one would be great, as BB10 is coming to the PlayBook at some point.

That's not to say I'd recommend that's what others should do - I always think there's far too much advocacy in the gadget market, and not enough people truly have a bit of an experiment themselves, and find what fits their wants / needs the most. And not that I buy into it, myself, but I think the often perceived default of an iPhone isn't necessarily a bad one, for most - although I'm not convinced that so many opting for them does truly align with what they really probably should be (by that I mean what they really can best afford) spending on such tech.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xerxes and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group