Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:58 pm 
Retro Guru

He lives in Sommerville Massachusetts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I have seen similar cases on archery forums, where users in the US have reported this sort of thing to the local Police Department.

That may be an option open to you, as the local PD tend to take this sort of defrauding activity a lot more seriously that our Police would.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Long shot but
http://somervillenjrec.com/2013-memoria ... -fun-ride/
A Brian Smith (his real name according to fatcogs) is the treasurer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm 
Retro Guru

NeilM wrote:
I have seen similar cases on archery forums

Without wishing to make light of a serious issue, that is one group of people I would really NOT want to rip off...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Koupe wrote:
NeilM wrote:

Without wishing to make light of a serious issue, that is one group of people I would really NOT want to rip off...

Aye - instead of "I'm picturing you in crosshairs..." more like "I'm picturing you with an apple on your head..."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Koupe wrote:
NeilM wrote:

Given that about 95% of archers in America are hunters, you make a fair point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Agreed, sbrian is a bit of a 'h'unt :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:25 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Hi mate
I really hope something has gone wrong with the post or something like that and you haven't actually been ripped off.
I have watched this thread with interest as these occurences are happening more and more as time goes on.
I have got to ask, what have you done to contact him, chase him down, follow up with paypal, etc?
I dont think its fair to expect the mods to step in when theres no more they can do other than a ban which means then you definately wont get a PM. Even if paypal was gift or the time for dispute has passed, Paypal can give you his email address and or address that the account was set up with. If he uses paypal then they have his details, they wont hand them all over but if you explain the situation and ask for at least an email and town they are usually helpful as you have dealt with the person already as shown on your account, though if you paid with gift then they might not want to be as helpful.
I would then try and chase him up through some of the names mentioned on this thread, just try to find out if it is the same guy, try fatcogs and see if anyone there can trace him from a past transaction etc.
Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick and am reading it wrong, but its no good posting every day that he's not contacted you, because to be honest he doesn't look like he will. So be pro active and hunt him down :evil:
I do hope its a mix up and your parts arrive and/or he refunds you as thats too much cash to lose or have stolen.
Best of luck mate and let us know how you get on.
Jamie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Thanks Jamie. Attempted contact via pm on here, PayPal account email address and via other means as well. It's not through lack of trying. I'm resigned to having been ripped off , bumping this thread is merely to serve as a warning to others who may come across him on here or other forums such as fat cogs, which he has logged in to today if memory serves, or at least this week.

I've also got other contact details for him, which will be passed to his local PD, but that's a last resort as I'd rather it doesn't come to that.

I agree that things happen like this more frequently than it should. One of the purposes of forums aside from shared interests, banter etc is also to self police/moderate, hence my point above. If I've been fleeced, so be it, but if nothing else, I can try to ensure some good comes out of it and that no one else has to find themselves in the same situation with the same seller.

Oh, thanks for the bump too!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 am 
Geoff Capes

You're one of the first members I have bought from on here, experiencing the generosity & retro niceness that alot of members possess. FWIW: I am quite :evil: :(

I hope this turns out well. Fight hard for the truth!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next