How olds yer stuff then

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Are you the I have to buy new stuff cus the old looks dated and doesn't fit the decor, I don't mean bikes because dated is soo cool there, I mean household stuff, or are you the I'll use it until it gives out and I have to buy another how begrudgingly I commit to do it.

I am of the latter type I hate having to buy new stuff and nothing matches like my cooker is black but the rest is white except the tumble drier which has gone a yellow colour these days, well the plastic has. The tumble drier is 10 years old the cooker is 6, but that's because the thirty year old gas cooker became dangerous. The microwave is 25 years old we've had it 20 years, was my mums. we have a new washing machine as the other rotted, it was falling apart as they took it away, and fridge freezer is new as the door snapped of our 15 year old one, the television is not so old that it has a wood paneling on it but it probably weighs more than our Volvo :D I just love running things into the ground before I'll willingly pay out for another, we have insurance which has soo paid for itself just in tumble drier repairs.

So what camp are you in?

Alison

When I buy something, I buy the very best I can afford.... and then run it into the ground.

Things don't get replaced until they explode or fall apart, although I'll more than likely try to fix something before replacing it.

Isaac_AG":3b6jn0eg said:
Are you the I have to buy new stuff cus the old looks dated and doesn't fit the decor, I don't mean bikes because dated is soo cool there, I mean household stuff, or are you the I'll use it until it gives out and I have to buy another how begrudgingly I commit to do it.

I am of the latter type I hate having to buy new stuff and nothing matches like my cooker is black but the rest is white except the tumble drier which has gone a yellow colour these days, well the plastic has. The tumble drier is 10 years old the cooker is 6, but that's because the thirty year old gas cooker became dangerous. The microwave is 25 years old we've had it 20 years, was my mums. we have a new washing machine as the other rotted, it was falling apart as they took it away, and fridge freezer is new as the door snapped of our 15 year old one, the television is not so old that it has a wood paneling on it but it probably weighs more than our Volvo :D I just love running things into the ground before I'll willingly pay out for another, we have insurance which has soo paid for itself just in tumble drier repairs.

So what camp are you in?

Alison

I'm definitely one of the "if it ain't broke, don't replace it" brigade when it comes to household goods (I still own an analogue CRT television set, no interest in getting some huge LCD/plasma thing that can be seen from space - with a Freeview recorder box plugged in it suits my telly needs just fine). As with a lot of things in life, this is probably down to my parents having the same take on life; in fact, they own a Morphy Richards coffee percolator that was a wedding present back in 1969....and it still works!! Also on the kitchen appliance front, my Russell Hobbs kettle (a proper one from when the factory was in Wombourne, near my home patch) is at least 11 years old now. Still good to go and no sign of giving in to all that hard Hampshire tap water of the last 5 years. :)

David

Russell":1mfa66ad said:
When I buy something, I buy the very best I can afford.... and then run it into the ground.

Things don't get replaced until they explode or fall apart, although I'll more than likely try to fix something before replacing it.

Yep +1 to that

I'm the same with bikes, I'm very snobby about my bikes but not anyone else's.

Russell":pqoimg4v said:

Yes we buy the best we can afford or get given stuff usually by people who have bought the best they can offord namely my mother or farther in law

Don't know when we went out last, our oldest was only old enough to look after the youngest for a short time before he joined the Royal Marines and left us in the lurch :)

Alisin

Isaac_AG":18yuni2s said:
Don't know when we went out last, our oldest was only old enough to look after the youngest for a short time before he joined the Royal Marines and left us in the lurch :)

Alisin

Chinese takeaway week next week :)

Both sets of grandparents live close by so we do get date nights quite often...

I only replace stuff when it dies, however I'm always too skint to buy top-notch stuff, so things die fairly often...

I'm perfectly happy to scour round for good second-hand stuff, though. My other half is a bit obsessed with decor, but she's also very good at customising and updating the stuff we already have.

Russell":mfllikyj said:

This...I don't often buy stuff but when I do I want the best for my money

Back