Bloody jobsworths

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Today the fridgeman came to sort out the handle that was falling off our week old fridge/freezer after doing the job I got a long lecture on the room temperature that the fridge/freezer was in, we keep it in the laundry room as the kitchen is too small. He went on about it needing to be at a minimum of 10 degrees, I think it does not get much colder than that in the laundry room, but he went on and on about it, saying we needed a greenhouse heater in there.

This happens all the time we have something fixed, the cooker which is a calor gas cooker, the pipe at the back was wrong so we changed it the next time he came it was wrong again and he described the correct one which happened to be the exact one he said was wrong the last time. The tumble drier, I got a lecture about the filters needing washing regularly otherwise it won't work, they are cleaned regularly it's just 10 years old for god sake. Finally the washing machine because we don't get his recommended descaler I get a long lecture about how I'm going to ruin my machine.

Would they give my husband a long lecture if he was the one to receive them? Does anyone else suffer this fate at the hands of the repair man? Or are you a frustrated repair man that sympathisers with my assailants :D

Alison

WTF has the room temperature got to do with the handle falling off!

sorry yes though sounds like your being patronized. Mind at least you can get someone in to fix the buggers - doesn't happen round my way - they tell you it's not worth it and get a new one (how their business survives i know not!)

Isaac_AG":3ox4izcf said:
This happens all the time we have something fixed, the cooker which is a calor gas cooker, the pipe at the back was wrong so we changed it the next time he came it was wrong again and he described the correct one which happened to be the exact one he said was wrong the last time. The tumble drier, I got a lecture about the filters needing washing regularly otherwise it won't work, they are cleaned regularly it's just 10 years old for god sake. Finally the washing machine because we don't get his recommended descaler I get a long lecture about how I'm going to ruin my machine.

Descalers/softeners are over-rated. The water down here in Hampshire is really hard thanks to the chalky geology, but neither the electric kettle nor the automatic washer have suffered despite putting untreated water in them.

Re. the fridge/freezer - apparently they do need to be in a room above a certain temperature otherwise they'll stop working purely because the thermostat thinks nothing needs doing. Fine for the fridge bit but not the freezer compartment. But as it was a door handle that was the problem, none of the service engineer's business where you keep yours really, as long as it works OK (Temperature affecting the door handle? Sounds like the Python "New Cooker Sketch" or something.... ;) ).

David

The fridge will warm the room up itself, as it will take the warm air from inside the fridge and radiate it out. Descalers are a waste of money. I did the maths for Calgon, using the recommended dose, in each of 3 washes a week. It's cheaper to buy a new washing machine ever 2 & 1/2 years.

Sounds like a case of:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrJg8NMsFw[/youtube]

Still, did he have a nice Dagenham smile? :D

xerxes":3d3ql5tz said:
Sounds like a case of:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrJg8NMsFw[/youtube]

Still, did he have a nice Dagenham smile? :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

He looked at me just like those blokes in the clip, women are wrong and don't have an opinion.

Alison

Pyro Tim":p3i27x0w said:
The fridge will warm the room up itself, as it will take the warm air from inside the fridge and radiate it out......

Nerd attack moment, but there is no transference of air from inside the fridge to the outside... there is no vent or inlet inside the fridge compartment at all. It's done via the compression to liquid (heat, at rear) and evaporation back to gas (cooling, inside) of the refridgerant that is contained within a closed, presurised circuit

G

unkleGsif":r9le4q1i said:
Pyro Tim":r9le4q1i said:
The fridge will warm the room up itself, as it will take the warm air from inside the fridge and radiate it out......

Nerd attack moment, but there is no transference of air from inside the fridge to the outside... there is no vent or inlet inside the fridge compartment at all. It's done via the compression to liquid (heat, at rear) and evaporation back to gas (cooling, inside) of the refridgerant that is contained within a closed, presurised circuit

G
What about the frost-free ones?

And several of my fridges have had little ports you have to poke with a little plastic sticky thing, that allows condensate to vent.

FWIW, the main fridge freezer I have, had a thing in the blurb about being suitable to be used in a garage (where it is).

those little ports are to drain off the condensate builds up from when the warm, moist air from the kitchen enters the cold, dry air inside the fridge when the door opens

frost free freezers have little heater elements that come on when in defrost mode i think, then the water drains out the back the same as with fridges, and onto a tray that sits above the warm compressor and evaporates

G

Back