Gay Marriage

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
I am all for it.

Don't reckon any religious organisation should be forced to perform the ceremonies though; they have discretion when agreeing to marry anyone.

However, if any such organisation is going to disagree on the basis of sexuality they certainly should not be allowed to hold charitable status.

Money talks, as they say, and I could see a sanction like that swinging more in favour.

I'm also all for it, I have no objection to anyone being allowed to marry and no one should be allowed to refuse to marry a couple because of their sexual orientation, and on the other side of the fence I don't think anyone should be looked down upon because they have chosen not to marry, marriage does not make the perfect relationship or family.

Alison

Just to be clear, I am not homophobic, have not problem with anybody's sexual orientation whatsoever as long as it's all consenting adults and no kids or animals are involved and have homosexual/lesbian freinds.

This marriage thing, what sort of marriage are we talking, Christian in church or another relgious establishment ? Because tbh the last thing I would want is to be married in a place and by a person that considers my sexual preferences to be 'an abomination in the eyes of the lord' but has been forced to perfom ceremonies by public pressure.
No organisation/person should be pressurised to perform actions that go totally against their beliefs, religous, moral or otherwise, unless those belifs advocate harming others (which the old testament/koran does on a regular basis, so it's kind of hypocrisy all round really).

Gay marriage ? Personally I don't give a toss but then I don't see what the big deal about being married is anyway.

Leviticus ? 'If a man lies with another man he should be stoned' ? Maybe you've been reading it wrong, a good smoke before sex can lead to a wonderful experience ;)
@ Chute55. Could I ask you if you are an advocate of divorce ?

B77":1indkee6 said:
Just to be clear, I am not homophobic, have not problem with anybody's sexual orientation whatsoever as long as it's all consenting adults and no kids or animals are involved and have homosexual/lesbian freinds.

This marriage thing, what sort of marriage are we talking, Christian in church or another relgious establishment ? Because tbh the last thing I would want is to be married in a place and by a person that considers my sexual preferences to be 'an abomination in the eyes of the lord' but has been forced to perfom ceremonies by public pressure.
No organisation/person should be pressurised to perform actions that go totally against their beliefs, religous, moral or otherwise, unless those belifs advocate harming others (which the old testament/koran does on a regular basis, so it's kind of hypocrisy all round really).

Gay marriage ? Personally I don't give a toss but then I don't see what the big deal about being married is anyway.

Leviticus ? 'If a man lies with another man he should be stoned' ? Maybe you've been reading it wrong, a good smoke before sex can lead to a wonderful experience ;)
@ Chute55. Could I ask you if you are an advocate of divorce ?

I think it is very hard to know what to do about religion, one has to respect other peoples religion, but religion also has to respect that there are also some very religious gay couples who feel that marriage is the ultimate goal for any loving couple.

If the bible were to be written today it would probably be a bit more accepting of most of modern society such as gay marriage, divorce and contraception all of which as a Catholic I was brought up to believe were practically deadly sins.

Alison

Chute55uk":3hnxixcu said:
leviticus would have a sh!t fit. dont agree based on my beliefs

Do you also not eat pork? refuse to wear clothes made of mixed fibres? Support owning slaves? Believe that rabbits chew the cud? All of these (and more) are in Leviticus.

'If a man lies with another man he should be stoned'.........LOL :D LIKE THE SMOKE BIT !

To be honest marriage in the sense of wanting to just be with one person for a long time....pre-dates religious marriage anyway......i'm sure early man still made it special with gifts and some kind of offering before organized religion existed.

@b77 if the ceremony was a civil matter then divorce stands to reason, as the vows were not made in same sense and with the same purpose as they are in a church, the fact that people get married in a church who are not religious make promises to god that they may or may not have any intention of keeping and then dont give a second thought to god after the event irks me more than a same sex partnership. personally I couldnt care less if 2 people of the same sex want to "be joined" its not me they will answer to and yes my belief says I should forgive those and not judge. do I advocate divorce? no, but sometimes there is no other option, I am divorced (and remarried) but not by my choice and as far as the church is concerened I am still married which is a pain in the arse but hey ho.
@grahame, no i dont eat pork but you have to put the old testament into context, leviticus also says that if a man uncovers a womans nakedness (read give her one) while she is on her sickness then they should be both removed (read killed and that is in the afterlife as well :shock: ), mixed fibres? I think it would be difficult these days not to, unless you want to walk around in a sack cloth. take a laptop back to the 1400's thats your arse burning on the stake for witchcraft right there. the bible is full of contradictions and was written over a very long period of time none of which took in to account the world we live in today, but I think its adaptable enough that one could work their lifestyle around it.
Im not going to start lobbing rocks at some bloke in the caff because he's eating a bacon sarnie, thats ridiculous but Im not going to eat one and im not going to agree to him eating one but that disagreement will remain silent in me. let me leave you with a quote from romans which is how i like to live my life (car drivers excluded):

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. ...

I just dont get it.

Marriage is a religious act, in which there is holy matrimony between a man and a woman, in the eyes of god.

Thus, from a religious point of view, gay marriage cannot be endorsed, because by definition, it is not a marriage.

Why the drive to call a legal partnership between two members of the same sex "marriage".

Why not call it something else, which has all the same legal brevity as a marriage.

Why are we hung up over the phrase "marriage"?

Questions, questions.

Back