Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
lumos2000 wrote:
its a shame a group of like minded people cant have normal conversation without mods stepping in.


I guess your idea of a normal conversation may differ from that of others. We only step in when things look like they are getting out of hand. That said, certain topics look early like they are going nowhere productive so get nipped in the bud.


There is guidance viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64836 with the key point about self-regulation.

Hope that helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:44 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Charlieboy28 wrote:
You can not attribute characteristics to whole groups of people, its the very definition of racism.

Yes you can - and you're conflating for the second part - there is no such strict definition as you'd like to say there, probably quoting wikipedia.

Some races or groups of people do have certain attributes or characteristics. It's not racist to point that out, if such arributes or characteristics are definitely related to the race or ethnicity.

It's racism, when you then use such differences in a way that seeks to marginalise, or differentiate in a way that either diminishes groups or elevates other groups.

Merely pointing out differences, though, that may or may not be aligned to certain races or ethnicities is not racist. That's just conflation and an overreaction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:53 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:09 am
Posts: 1260
Location: Chiswick, London
FMJ wrote:
sylus wrote:
dammit, where is this trailer trash boy sposed to go now?


Sunnyvale?

Image


Off subject but that is one of the greatest shows ever 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
ededwards wrote:
lumos2000 wrote:
its a shame a group of like minded people cant have normal conversation without mods stepping in.


I guess your idea of a normal conversation may differ from that of others. We only step in when things look like they are getting out of hand. That said, certain topics look early like they are going nowhere productive so get nipped in the bud.


There is guidance viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64836 with the key point about self-regulation.

Hope that helps.



i think everyones idea of normal is different, what is nornal? :roll: i find it funny that ive had lots of these kind of conversations with groups of very mixed race people and there is never a problems, its only when a group of white people have this type of conversation that someone gets all uperty about somthing and says i take offence to that and points the finger waving the racist flag.


Last edited by lumos2000 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm
Posts: 2119
Location: New Forest
Charlieboy28, You offend me.

Please stop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:45 pm
Posts: 5261
Location: Birmingham
Neil wrote:
Charlieboy28 wrote:
You can not attribute characteristics to whole groups of people, its the very definition of racism.

Yes you can - and you're conflating for the second part - there is no such strict definition as you'd like to say there, probably quoting wikipedia.

Some races or groups of people do have certain attributes or characteristics. It's not racist to point that out, if such arributes or characteristics are definitely related to the race or ethnicity.

It's racism, when you then use such differences in a way that seeks to marginalise, or differentiate in a way that either diminishes groups or elevates other groups.

Merely pointing out differences, though, that may or may not be aligned to certain races or ethnicities is not racist. That's just conflation and an overreaction.


definition was from Oxford dictionary, with emphasis on the "especially" it would suggest that simply to differentiate is enough for it to constitute racism.

but im listening, I would like to hear examples of these racial characteristics and attributes.

again history makes me question the motives of the Op and the need to post his musings on here, when google can sate any genuine curiosity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 4007
Location: uk
Threads about ''chinese people''......you mean the one about the chinese guy who was cycling round the world ! and what a great thing he was doing.......... :facepalm:

I'm sick to death of a handful of people on here (LESS THAN 5 OUT OF 4,000 PLUS MEMBERS) who , just because at one time or other i have voiced a different oppinion to them, have then taken it upon themselves to hound any thread of mine, twist, contort, just as some childish payback cos i challenged their views.........NOW THAT'S THE TRUTH TO ALL THIS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:28 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Charlieboy28 wrote:
Neil wrote:
Charlieboy28 wrote:
You can not attribute characteristics to whole groups of people, its the very definition of racism.

Yes you can - and you're conflating for the second part - there is no such strict definition as you'd like to say there, probably quoting wikipedia.

Some races or groups of people do have certain attributes or characteristics. It's not racist to point that out, if such arributes or characteristics are definitely related to the race or ethnicity.

It's racism, when you then use such differences in a way that seeks to marginalise, or differentiate in a way that either diminishes groups or elevates other groups.

Merely pointing out differences, though, that may or may not be aligned to certain races or ethnicities is not racist. That's just conflation and an overreaction.


definition was from Oxford dictionary, with emphasis on the "especially" it would suggest that simply to differentiate is enough for it to constitute racism.

but im listening, I would like to hear examples of these racial characteristics and attributes.

again history makes me question the motives of the Op and the need to post his musings on here, when google can sate any genuine curiosity

I don't care what you think the OED "suggests" - simply pointing out that there may be attributes or characteristics that differs with race or ethnicity is simply not racism - at least not necessarily, and it doesn't define racism.

Inventing character traits, attributes or characteristics, or using them as a negative, quite possibly is.

As to examples, it wouldn't be racist to point out that people of certain races or ethnicities have tendencies towards certain physical attributes (eg hair colour, eye pigmentation) - or the opposite, may tend to have an absence of some of these attributes (eg again, hair colour, eye pigmentation). There's nothing, whatsoever, racist about stating such things as facts (so long as they are largely facts).

Your differences with another forum member, who you'd clearly like to foist an agenda, notwithstanding, there's nothing racist of me pointing out that some of what you've written is complete and utter guff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:31 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:45 pm
Posts: 5261
Location: Birmingham
greenstiles wrote:
Threads about ''chinese people''......you mean the one about the chinese guy who was cycling round the world ! and what a great thing he was doing.......... :facepalm:

I'm sick to death of a handful of people on here (LESS THAN 5 OUT OF 4,000 PLUS MEMBERS) who , just because at one time or other i have voiced a different oppinion to them, have then taken it upon themselves to hound any thread of mine, twist, contort, just as some childish payback cos i challenged their views.........NOW THAT'S THE TRUTH TO ALL THIS.


no greenstiles the one about a Chinaman :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

and Greenstiles you take delight in causing offence and provoking controversy then pretending it was in innocent and well intentioned ignorance


you then quote wikipedia, and claim asperger's as a defense . This site is full of people with aspergers but you are the only one who continually does this.

Im glad to see you used the term Chinese though this time. Well done you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ignorance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:04 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23176
Location: Retrobike HQ
Righty ho, another mod has locked this one but I'd like to clarify a few points.

1. This is a bicycle website, dedicated to the discussion of bicycles. We do of course have an active General and Off Topic section but there are far better forums for discussing politics, religion, race and other similar issues which unless you're being somewhat disingenuous often end in controversy.
2. With point 1. in mind yes, we do often lock threads in the Off Topic section which are clearly heading in the 'wrong' direction. This is in the guidance linked to by Ed. Surely it' better myself and the mods spend our time doing positive things like upgrading the site, running competitions and organising events rather than moderating threads which have nothing to do with the purpose of this site.
3. It's a shame if you didn't get your say on a locked thread. But if it's locked it will have been locked for a reason and restarting the thread to make your point is only going to result in one outcome. It will be locked.
4. For those complaining about the moderation of this site and this section suggest you check out other forums on the internet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xerxes and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group