e bay woes

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
i ve sold a wheel on ebay it has 4 spoke nipples missing
this is mentioned an the top of the page again underneath in the description an a third time in an answer to a question that is displated on the page

see here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271141992289? ... 1561.l2649

the seller recieved it an says i didnt tell him an is asking for a £25 refund! an now the payment is being held by paypal

i replyed an said it was cleary stated in the listing he ignored my comment an now says it also has a snapped rim tape an a spoke missing
(i removed the rim tape to try to fit some spoke nipples but they didnt fit i think i may have left it at the bottom of the box) the ad didnt mention rim ape an even if it had it would need to be removed to fit the new nipples
the missing spoke he mentioned there isnt a spoke missing its an eyelet for the valve :roll:

do ebay always side with the buyer ? as the missing nipples are mentioned in the listing surely its the buyers fault?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I would give ebay a ring and discuss it with them.

My wife does a lot of buying a selling, and has had her fair share of idiot buyers. If she can't resolve the matter with the buyer, then she speaks directly to ebay and they usually help her sort it out.

It does sound like you buyer just saw the price and didn't bother reading the description. Now they have realised their mistake they are looking for someone to blame, rather than accepting that they made the mistake. Pretty common these days I'm afraid.

do i have to wait until the 7 days are up ,if its not sorted in 7 days between buyer an seller ebay review it an make a decsion

i ve offered the buyer £6 as a good will gesture( i dont think it would cost more than 12 pound to put right i could do without the hassle the money from the wheel was going to fund my new tyres

I'd tell him to send it back and you will refund the the cost of the item. You won't be refunding the postage or return postage as they are costs that you have no control over and ebay will/should support you on this

My last return was the buyer has to pay the return postage and I also lost the original postage even though they found in my favour

Or the most obvious option...tell him to look in the bottom of the box for the rim tape it is there and you are more than happy to send him replacement 4 nipples even though he was aware they were missing before he placed his final and winning bid

I have never had any problem with ebay yet since 2003 when I joined, but things like this seam to be happening all the more, as I have seen on Retrobike and I don't understand why. I bought some DX wheels described as silky smooth on Retrobike a few months ago and they are as silky smooth as the Sahara desert sand, but I'm not the type to argue, you know who you are, But if you explain, clearly as you did, what the condition was then the righteousness is all yours. It so makes me fear selling things.

Alison

A few years ago I had nightmares selling mostly my old designer kit, prada trainers, gortex coats blah blah blah, multiple pics the full shabam explanations and measurment, and im sure people were just wearing em for a weekend out and sendin em back? refunds post office trips etc just cured me of ebay for ages I now use my misuses acc for buying only. And Ive now got a electrical grave yard that needs selling :facepalm: gumtree it is!

In my experience ebay are pretty fair in their judgement, I had a guy complain about a dual pull front mech I sold which he then claimed was bottom pull only and that his local bike shop told him it was wrong. He wanted a full refund including postage and return postage if I wanted it back - leaving me out of pocket.
The pics in my ad showed the model number and the cable attachment side of the mech so I pointed this out and referred him to the manufacturers website info on the model and gave him a quick description of how the cable is routed.
He didn't accept this and repeated that his bike shop had said it was wrong so I suggested he print the manual which I linked and take to to his bikeshop, or better still use a different shop. I stayed polite all the time while he was very rude.

Since we didn't resolve it ourselves I had to make a statement to ebay for them to judge by, so I described the basic mechanics of dual pull mech, referring to both my advert and the manufacturers site. Then I listed a quick summary timeline of my comms with the buyer. I have no idea what the buyer wrote but they found in my favour and released the money.

If I were you I would write to the buyer explaining that all wheels need a valve eylet, pointing out that the advert states the nipples are missing and did not include rimtape, which would need to be replaced with the new nipples anyway. Your ad was honest and the things he's complaining about were either described in the listing or he's wrong about them, you are under no obligation to refund. At the most offer him £3 for some rimtape, or to send him some as maybe you should have made some mention of it. Buyers like this need to learn.

If he doesn't accept your reply then after the time limit paypal/ebay will ask you for a statement from which they will judge. Make sure you reply within the deadline, tell them how and when you responded to the buyer and refer to your ad and his mails. They should find on your side.

Contact ebay about this clown, if your ad clearly states that there are parts missing then I don't see how it can be "not as described", they should find in your favour.

And as you have this idiots address, send him a turd in a box (anonymously of course). ;)

Ebay are pretty helpful I would give them a call to see where you stand. I think you will be fine though. The worst I have had to deal with so far is two cranksets going missing in the post. I have had to issue a refund and Royal Mail still have not found them or compensated me yet.

:evil:
i offered the seller £6 as a good will gesture
but he hasnt accepted

he says
the spoke nipples cost him £5.54 an to get the wheel trued its £35 :shock:

it seems he is trying to get the wheel for free
he says he couldnt see the decription on his phone app

i cant find the ebay contact number on the site

Back