Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:40 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

“If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.”
― Lenny Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Amazing to hear all the comparisons with Paganism, as if one dogma is superior to another, or more real because one adopted part of another.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:27 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

greenstiles wrote:
I don't belive people have the right to use religion in one of these ways......... to kill , harm, or hate others.

You mean there are other reasons for religion?

Wow! Who knew?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:48 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

from flight of the phoenix

Frank Towns: Why give people false hope?
Liddle: Come on man.Most people spend their whole lives hanging on to hopes and dreams that are never going to come true but they hold on to them. Why are you going to give up on them now when you need them most?
Frank Towns: You are assuming I'm one of those people who has hopes and dreams.
Liddle: I find it hard to believe that a man who learns to fly never had a dream.
Frank Towns: Look, how can I let those people build that plane when I don't believe it will work? And, every day they waste trying to build it brings them one day closer to dying.
Liddle: I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do.
[James tosses the water bottle back to Frank and walks away]
Frank Towns: James, you'll never make it.
Liddle: Then I'll die trying. There are people counting on me.
Frank Towns: Okay, Okay, Okay. Okay. We'll build it. Just come back with me

people belive in all sorts for allsorts of reasons, you should never question whether its right for them but you should question if its right for you.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.”
― Richard Pryor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

theproudhighway wrote:
I've had conversations with quite a few people with different religious beliefs. Most seem open to debate about their respective belief system. Not sure I've ever out right questioned why they believe what they believe though. Makes for interesting conversation.

I've listened to some Podcasts that claim most religions were born out of magic mushroom trips :)

http://sagaciousmama.wordpress.com/2010 ... nta-claus/ :D :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm 
Retro Guru

highlandsflyer wrote:
Amazing to hear all the comparisons with Paganism, as if one dogma is superior to another, or more real because one adopted part of another.

Pagnism is just an offshoot of animism, probably the oldest set of beliefs there is. Paganism has been used to control the masses the same as christianity, islam etc. Arguably it was only when people realised how easy it is to control other people through fear and promises that religious organisations arose.

For what it's worth I don't think anyone has said that one dogma is superior to another, anyway no-one has a clue about what actually went onto the ancient 'pagan' beliefs, the modren stuff is just tree hugging rubbish, the ancient pagans were probably beating the shit out of the next tribe over because thier soul tree was bigger than theirs.

Mistletoe was used around the solstice to cause miscarriges in any newly pregnant women, to avoid having any more mouths to feed the next winter, as usual in any religion women always seem to get the short end of a rather shitty stick.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:01 pm 
eBay Outing Master

Most faiths like politics, are the attempts of the few to control the many..but....for those being controlled most have found a way to make that a positive and do harm to no one

I believe the modern control methods are called debt, mortgages, internet and facebook :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:34 pm 
Retro Guru

sylus wrote:
Out here in the badlands we often get jovie door knockers. My longest for being able to keep them at the door is 47 minutes and 35 seconds :lol:

I too feel it is my duty to limit the ammount of people they can bother in one day, my best is only around 15minutes though so well done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:00 pm 
Retro Guru

The problem with religions is that the inspirational founders become a profound embarrassment to the small minded followers who turn ideas and passin into dogma.

The founders attract and convince and the followers confront and coerce :-(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master

B77 wrote:
as usual in any religion women always seem to get the short end of a rather shitty stick.

At least the Catholics are trying to overturn that trend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next