Can you question peoples religion

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have argued about peoples religious beliefs before and found people see questioning religions as as taboo as being racist, as a person brought up to be Catholic and now athiest I've been on both sides of religious belief and been happy to discuss it with anyone.

What do you think?

Alison
Code:

religious+logic.jpg

That's basically what I think.

**** religion

although discussing religion is inadvisable, I'll offer a bit:

Religion, as I see it, is a result of consciousness, self awareness and man's inability to cope with it. An animal will ignore its reflection when we would stop, look and then go onto facebook to complain about it (as I do).

Being painfully self aware also leads us into all sorts of troubles as how often at 3.46am have you been unable to sleep?Letting your mind wander and then being unable to cope with it all scream to yourself 'why are we here? Whats it all about?'.

As an ancient, you look up at the night sky and see pictures of animals and people so you populate it with gods to satisfy your own desire to presume that you know how and why. That dogma gets handed down, generation after generation so when the truth is found out - you know what happens next - some idiot blows themselves up in the name of those made up gods to take out as many non-believers as possible including himself.

Now, as there is no afterlife (steady now) you simply cease to exist - my theory is as that the universe is infinite, you will always have existed at some point in the infinite so there will always be a you, just at your point of view. You wont 'die' and pass into oblivion, you will simply go back to where you started, back in the womb as a couple of cells, back in the middle of the infinite...

Now, back to religion - 'how did this all happen?' why only us? Why not other planets and boggly eyed things from outer space - I dunno, I just ride a bicycle in the middle of the infinite...

I've had conversations with quite a few people with different religious beliefs. Most seem open to debate about their respective belief system. Not sure I've ever out right questioned why they believe what they believe though. Makes for interesting conversation.

I've listened to some Podcasts that claim most religions were born out of magic mushroom trips :)

the only religion worth listening to is bad religion lol

i don't think its harmful to question or ask about someones religion and life, after all,they plan their entire world and life around looking forward to being dead.........kinda :roll:

im an open book on this, ill gladly listen and ask etc, but i dont believe myself.life is too short to waste worrying about everything like that, after all its a belief.....not fact ;) :mrgreen:

Anyone who espouses following any religion should be prepared answer questions on their belief, same goes for atheists or anyone who has a view on anything whatsoever. I don't see how questioning someones dogma could be seen as racist.

Question everything.

people don't like being asked because most of the time they haven't got a clue about there religion themselves, they only know what they have been told by someone that doesn't have a clue aswell lol
adam

Religion, immigration, politics etc will always be contentcious and rightly so

Personally people should always have a right to a faith if they want as long as they appreciate it's a personal to them thing. Out here in the badlands we often get jovie door knockers. My longest for being able to keep them at the door is 47 minutes and 35 seconds :LOL:

but yes we have a right to discuss faith but also everyone else may have a different opinion to ours

do you mean religion or faith, and why ? are you unsure of your views or do you want to change theirs or something else ? I think people are frequently unsure of where you are coming from and hence asking questions probably makes them uncomfortable........

oh and that thing of not discussing religion and politics ? well the results are frequently seen...........

Back