Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Declare the true value and figure a 20% charge of what ever you pay plus the shipping...so, bike £100 shipping £100 = £200 allow yourself at least 20% of £200. If it flies under the radar...yay.
If you do not declare the true value then you will not be insured for the true value...your risk, not the sellers
As for committing fraud...well, that is debatable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I could be wrong, but when I have bought second hand bows (of the archery type) into the UK from the US I have not paid import duty, as the item is used.

You could however get a bill for VAT, as it is liable on all goods imported from outside the EU.

Customs are not stupid, and if they have any doubts, they will make a decision on what the items are worth and you'll get a bill.

You will also have to pay the carriers handling charge, as they have to do the paperwork. The Post office are cheapest at between £8.00 and £13.50, some of the carriers will take you for £35 for doing the same admin.

I always factor these cost in when deciding whether to buy an item or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

suburbanreuben wrote:
I'm sure Lawrence is loving the fact that you are so brazen about committing fraud and don't mind suggesting he helps you do so on a public forum...
He's a good guy, but don't take the piss.

I was only making a general enquiry... nothing's set in concrete.

Yeh I've found him to be very helpful and a genuinely nice guy.... and he mentioned it was a possibility in the original sales thread which was for all to view. So back in yer box mate, I hardly think Interpol are gonna come knocking. Mind you now they have his first name.. anyone wanna offer his last? And what's wrong with trying to save a couple of quid... in my working life I've beat the tax man.... erm let me think...... NOT ONCE!

And I think he's won again :(. Thanks for your help and suggestions guys but its apparent that it ain't worth taking a chance so full declaration it is! The good news is that now the state have that little bit extra dosh to piss up the wall :D.

Don't worry, I'm.....