A friend with one short leg...

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
... has asked my advice on setting up a bike for them.

He's got one normal leg, but his right leg is, er, not normal. Basically, below the knee has minimal muscle, the ankle is fused at a right angle, and his foot is about 3/4 size. The whole leg ends up around 1" shorter than the other, with corresponding weaknesses.

He's mentioned that his right leg is always stretching (fully extended), and has little power in it.

So, I was thinking, a shorter drive side crank (possibly re-tapping at about 150mm), a flat pedal on the drive side and an SPD on the non drive side.

Anyone think of anything else, or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

He's never used clipless pedals, so I don't know if he'll go for it.

:?:

plenty of diff crank lengths available for square taper inc off kids bikes, i would measure up the diff as close as you can between legs........

I think SPD will give benefits for him. The shorter drive side crank seems the most obvious way forward in this case too.

in order to get some power out of the right leg the pedal must go higher at the 12 o'clock position.
you'd want the drive side pedal to be taller to raise the center of rotation. that would have the same effect as a shorter seat tube for the right leg only.
edit: shorter crank arms will lower the pedal at 12 o'clock.

greenstiles":2amuktyn said:
plenty of diff crank lengths available for square taper inc off kids bikes, i would measure up the diff as close as you can between legs........

Cheers.

It's a little more complicated than simple length, as he'll likely be pedalling with the heel of his right foot, but yes, the aim would be to eliminate any rocking of the hips.

Cant help but id like you as a pal :cool: Thats a good pal looking into it and willing to sort it for him hope you get some good posts with ideas to help him, we know this place is full of good ideas.

I think it's brilliant that you are finding a solution to your friends disability.

I would be inclined to look into other disabled cyclists, organisations, or even talk to British Cycling, to see what solutions have been developed for others.

Highpath Engineering has lots of experience adapting cranks to suit particular rider needs so should be able to advise.

Back