macbook pro and iphone 5 advice please!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
phone was due for an upgrade, happy with the iphone so i got the new one to keep things simple

then the problems start, was told to back up my old iphone on itunes, then install the new one and it should sync.

but all i get is 'this version of itunes can't run this phone' or something similar because the version of itunes is not the 10pointwhatever, i've checked for updates on itunes and found one and downloaded it but then it says i need to upgrade to OS 10.7 or more before i can run the itunes update. i thought it was all up to date, and when i click search for updates it says i am update!

so i have to update the mac software to run the itunes software to run the new phone?

does this sound right or am i doing something wrong?

also how can i tell what version of OSwhatever i am currently running?

and what is the mountain lion/snow leopard stuff?

and please, use simple computer language for a simple computer user!!

:)

you can find out which version of the os you are running by clicking on the apple on the menu and selecting about this mac (from memory) - typing from memory.

10.7 is the prior version of Macos (aka lion). About this mac should tell you what you have.

have sussed it out a bit.

i'm running 10.5.8 which doesn't support the 10.7 version of itunes which means i need to upgrade the laptop to snow leopard/lion but strangely from what i can tell i can't download this i have to buy it on disc format and load it old school style! once this is done i can then load the 10.7 version of itunes so that the phone will then sync with itunes so all my apps and contacts will be on the new phone.

3 times i have been to the apple store though and 3 times they have been rubbish, but i think i'll have to go in and see them to confirm this and then buy the software, looks like it's only about £20 though so not too bad.

pain in the bum though.

Yeah,
10.5 is actually pretty old tbh.

The naming convention is pretty odd as well - the major number (i.e. 10) hasn't been updated since they went to the new os architecture.

The *next* thing to note is that old hardware has been deprecated, so not all Macs will run the lastest version (10.:cool:.

If you go to "about my mac" and select system information (can't remember the exact option - not on my mac atm), but it will list the model number (something like imac4,2 if its an imac) - if you can post that I can probably tell you the latest version of the OS you can run.

Could have sworn I downloaded 10.7 from the app store - it was only £20 or so.

jonnyboy666":kev17alc said:
34922B5T66D this is the serial number, is that what you meant?

thanks by the way :)

Don't think I can work anything out from the serial number unfortunately - the code will be something like :

iMac11,2 or macbookpro11,0 or something like.

And definitely in the system info....

www.everymac.com can be useful, and there is a handy app for the iphone called mactracker that is almost encyclopedic in listing macs and their technical details :)

jonnyboy666":1ijhhzzq said:
MacBookPro5,5 any good?

Spot on!

Looks like your mac can run 10.8 (Mountain Lion)!

http://www.coolestguyplanettech.com/is- ... -mountain/

confirms.

Any MacbookPro greater than 5.1 is OK.

You could have a look in the app store to see if it is available to purchase/download.

I didn't think they did a CD of 10.8, but it could be bought on a USB stick.

Looking at the apple website, if you don't have snow leopard (10.6) - you will have to buy that first..

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/how-to-upgrade/

For reference the OS numbers and code names:

Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah
Mac OS X 10.1 Puma
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

i'm sort of guessing about the disc really as when i looked through the support/download section on the apple homepage it listed the software as free delivery and the "what's in the box?" section said "disc" but as i understood it these days they sell stuff on a memory stick or simply download stuff. makes me wonder if it's too much info for a download.

thanks very much for the help. i'll look to see if i can download it.

:D

Back