al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I think I need to defrag my computer?

Any links and can an idiot like me do it?

Cheers!

al. :D

Yeah you just set the program to run and then leave it for ages as it will normally slow your pc up.

Windows?

Open My Computer, right-click the drive in question, properties at the bottom, tools tab, defragment.

If you don't have much free space it'll take a lot longer than usual.

I havent ran defrag since i got this system 3 yrs ago [Might have been 2 :? ]
I do believe there is a school of thought that says you should never use the defrag :?
Anyone any info on this :?

A disk formatted with NTFS doesn't require half the defragging that FAT used to. It still makes a difference but very little. Plus in the days of FAT disks were a lot slower so a little went a long way to increase performance.

The way to go with system issues is to use task manager, and performance monitor to track what's causing any slow downs.

It is good to keep drives at 60% or less full. How often you need to defrag depends on the usage of your drive. The latest OSs do it automatically.

I do a lot of video editing, mainly very large files, and it helps to make sure you have nice large clean areas for these.

I still manually defrag, especially when I have cleared off large project files. Our operating systems have become much better at handling things themselves though. Unless you totally stuff a drive to the brim things don't tend to grind to a halt like they might have in the past.

Back