Old guys, are you still getting rad?

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Have you quietened down with age or are you still scanning the trail for that lip to pop off? Have you settled into the countryside bimble, taking it easy and enjoying the scenery? Or are you still keeping up with the kids and doing the drops and gaps? Is age slowing you down or are you still trying to get faster/higher, searching for grins?

You've seen me ride many times Kaiser, you know i tend toward rigid bikes and keeping my wheels in contact with the ground but believe it or not I'm more 'Rad' than in my youth.
Now i take on black grade routes, ride as fast as I dare and even try wee drop offs and jumps. I kept to blue/red grade stuff and chickened out of loads of stuff untill inexperience slammed me into the deck and broke my collar bone in several places.
As a result I've actually tried to ride better and its resulted in my getting more confident. One day I might master a drop off or a jump in my quest to get a wee bit more Rad :LOL:

I'm 46 and do awesome skids :D

And wheelies, ride no handed-the lot.

Just try not to fall off,as it hurts more and for longer.

I've never really been 'rad', but without a doubt I am faster both up and down than I was in the past, and I didn't used to hang about back then.

I think much of the improvement though is down to the fact I am riding much better bikes than I had in the past, although my Zaskar has always been a lot of fun on rocky descents :twisted:

EDIT: I'm 54 in a few weeks time :shock:

im not as flexable as i used to be, tryed skating again :oops: and things hurt more but the grins come just as easy :D

45 and still rad as ****. Most weekends I do this....

222746_1995365198069_1061620766_2281707_6716188_s.jpg

579331_3874705590674_1756279932_n_zpsff8bbabf.jpg

540200_10151075254684253_1981907041_n_zpse1e67f4d.jpg

As for rad cycling, yeah a bit, lots of downhill.

Define "old". I'm 38 next year so not a million miles away from having to take out a Vets' racing licence! Never been one for any scary off-road stuff anyway, although on the road I don't go in for the hair-raising 50mph descents* any more.

David

*East Chevin End, from near Leeds Bradford Airport down to Otley town centre - mostly straight and very fast. And this was after a nasty crash into a dry stone wall at nearby Burley Woodhead seriously knocked my confidence in descending.

Back