Suggest a headtube/helmet mount bright front light

gtRTSdh

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I need a front light to see where I'm going for my road bike, I've got clip on's on the bar's and a computer on the stem so there's no space available, so I was thinking that strapping something in front of the hub tube would be ideal, any thoughts?? Or better suggestions?

Avoid the modern cult for tiny knog lights and their ilk.Ive seen several fixie types pass me with these on and tbh you cant really tell if theres a light there or not,even the flashing ones are too small to see clearly even in the dark.
Opt for something that could double for a lighthouse beacon

If you need a light to see by, it's better to have it on the bars, stem, or fork. The bike goes in the direction that the front wheel is pointing. I've used a light mounted on the head tube of a Moulton. In a straight line it's not a problem. When turning corners it can be very disconcerting to be steering out of the pool of light.

Hope and Thomson stems (and perhaps others) have optional faceplates available that incorporate a lamp mount. Worth considering?

Underside of the stem or under dropping under the bars.

the O-ring clip on types might be able to spread around any cycle mount.

gavinda":pe7ql9d3 said:
gtRTSdh":pe7ql9d3 said:

So I've either got to take of my seatpost, stem and bars OR bring a filth bike in the house to charge my lights? Which aren't that bright and cost more than eBay Crees.
do you not have electricity in your garage? If you can't appreciate the elegance of these there's some cogs missing. i've got deda clip tri bars on, they & the arm rests swamp the whole bars, on top, unnderneath & infront. I think helmet mount may be the answer, the blackburn fleas don't have enoug burn time, any ideas?

Not everyone has a powered garage. My bikes live in a shed at the end of the garden and the only light they get us sunlight.

I just feel that for something that needs frequent charging, to have it permanently fixed to your bike is pretty inconvenient.

gavinda":6t0oc6yg said:
Not everyone has a powered garage. My bikes live in a shed at the end of the garden and the only light they get us sunlight.

I just feel that for something that needs frequent charging, to have it permanently fixed to your bike is pretty inconvenient.

i agree with this. i think its quite a major flaw - until i read the FAQs at the bottom , i thought the lens unit popped out and you take that away to be charged. when i read you had to charge it on the bike, i thought - big mistake.
its nothing like charging a phone (as they say) due to the fact that i can charge my phone/laptop on my desk or coffee table.

edit: i've also just seen its not compatible with cantilever pull systems......

anywho, i reckon head mounted light is probably the best. i often thought about headtube mounted lights - and for road cycling you may get away with it (if you are using it to just be seen).

Back