Cycling may be dropped from the Olympics

IF he did...

...sounds like a whole load of speculation to fill column inches. But indeed it would be damning.

If Armstrong's revelations got cycling dropped from the olympics it would be an absolute tragedy for the likes of Laura Trott, Danni King and other british track cylists, who are still quite young, have never been implicated in doping etc. who are currently at the top of their game and would be favourites to win medals in the next one maybe two olympics. However, if the next olympics to include cycling is 12 years away, it may be too late for many that are at their peak now.

It would be a terrible shame if Armstrong's legacy was allowed to blight the careers of so many that had nothing to do with the doping that was rife amongst the pro road riders of 90s and early 2000s.

http://www.uciic.org/press-release/

In short, the IOC is asking the UCI (with a little prompting) to take the Independent Commission seriously and not make it difficult for it to carry out its remit.

This: http://inrng.com/2013/01/acronymn-war/ Is good reading. Its a very good site and provides a lot of insight into what is going on within the sport as a whole (very good at race stage previews as well).

From the outset there have been claims that the commission's terms of reference were too narrow, yet it was stated that they had a free reign on their terms of reference. These links seem to refute that freedom as was initially feared by many.

We shall see. The UCI has been allowed to start its own commission into its dealings - I think the IOC words indicate that they are watching to see that it is done correctly else there will be sanctions.

xerxes":v2womiux said:
If Armstrong's revelations got cycling dropped from the olympics it would be an absolute tragedy for the likes of Laura Trott, Danni King and other british track cylists, who are still quite young, have never been implicated in doping etc. who are currently at the top of their game and would be favourites to win medals in the next one maybe two olympics. However, if the next olympics to include cycling is 12 years away, it may be too late for many that are at their peak now.

Indeed; so much time, effort and resources have been devoted to the Games by British Cycling staff & athletes that it would be a tragic waste. One suspects Dave Brailsford would not be a happy chap if the Olympic blockade did come about - talk about a lot of hard graft being undone.

David

I'd be very interested to know what proportion of pro Track cyclists are implicated in or found guilty of doping, compared to pro Road cyclists.
I appreciate that a good few high-profile Tour riders have been Track riders at some point in their career, but the Tour is the epicentre of the doping scandal in my eyes. Dragging all cycling activity in the Olympics into it would be rather rash, imo.
I mean, would they ban BMX & MTB too?

If drug use is so wide spread in sports then they should be allowed. I for one would pay good money to watch football, darts, skiing, or running, pretty much anything really where the competitors are tripping balls.

Yeah, bring on the Stoned Marathon. Two weeks in, and none of the entrants have finished. The local shop has sold two and a half thousand Hershey bars.

The High Jump record now stands at outer space, metaphyisically speaking.

Back