OMG just how much did I want one of these bitd

Ahhhhh memories.

I had two groups of mates with new mopeds:
There were the FS1E lot, which also included a Honda SS50 and a Casal.
Then there were the serious motorcyclists, they included a couple of Fantics, a Garelli and two Gilera.

Me?

My father was a bank manger and did not approve of HP, so he lent me £25 and I got a Raleigh Runabout :oops:

I so wanted a Fantic. I started searching soon after my 15th Birthday. With a week to go to my 16th I gave in and bought a Fizzie, but it was a DX!
2 days later, Gordon Farley called me to say they had one in. No, they weren't interested in a Fissie in PX...

:( :( :(

I had an FS1E and put a disc brake on the front, I thought it was the coolest thing ever!! I'm a short arse so any real bike was just to big for me, like my brothers CB400, I fell off when it stopped :)

Alison

NeilM":3orfntk2 said:
Then there were the serious motorcyclists, they included a couple of Fantics, a Garelli and two Gilera.

Nah, in retrospect the Gilera/Fantic lot were the fashionista, mostly bank-rolled by Daddy (yes, the green eyed monster still lurks inside me ha ha)

The real bikers were the Fizzy, AP50 lot. We knew how the de-coke and cut down our baffles, or replace the small end bearing in half an hour. We knew how to ruin our engine by filing the barrel ports and piston skirts to extract maximum power.

We went on to motorbikes..RD's, KH's (rubbish and slow but pretty) RG's etc. The fashionista? Daddy's bright orange Maxi, or a Ford Fiesta ;)

Mate of mine used to race an RD125 in proddy class, used to take it down to kirkstall power station to test run it and I either stalled it or couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground till 3rd gear, I was much happier on our race C50 but even that used to clock 68mph down the long straight.
Good old days eh
Matthew

Harryburgundy":s5onzrvx said:
NeilM":s5onzrvx said:

Nah, in retrospect the Gilera/Fantic lot were the fashionista, mostly bank-rolled by Daddy (yes, the green eyed monster still lurks inside me ha ha)

The real bikers were the Fizzy, AP50 lot. We knew how the de-coke and cut down our baffles, or replace the small end bearing in half an hour. We knew how to ruin our engine by filing the barrel ports and piston skirts to extract maximum power.

We went on to motorbikes..RD's, KH's (rubbish and slow but pretty) RG's etc. The fashionista? Daddy's bright orange Maxi, or a Ford Fiesta ;)

In my circle of friends it was the exact opposite, in fact two of the Italian fans went on to be mechanics!

As for 'tuning', that was my department, I made a good few bob tuning and decoking engines and exhausts.

As for the bank of dad, I think I was the only one who wasn't bankrolled :roll:

Back