Greedy People (eBay)

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Having a bimble round ebay tonight, looking for a bike rack for my van, find one listed slightly incorrectly but at a decent price, collection only but not local at all.
Contact them to see if they'd be happy for me to arrange a courier, get some quotes, go to check back and spot they've upped the BIN price :evil:

Waste of my feckin time

Must be something about bike racks

I won an auction a couple of years ago, was only a few miles from me, so I bid.... And it ended for 99p... I was ecstatic... And the second the listing ended I had a message from the seller, and I can quite clearly remember it word for word...

"Yeah, like I'm going to sell it to you for that"

I never bothered collecting it, just reported to eBay and sent negative feedback...

Some eBay sellers :roll:

I had similar not long ago -- won a small boat for £139, sent messages to sort out payment/collection/etc, heard nothing for a week, finally got a phone call from the seller who said he'd meant to put a reserve on it and would I go to £160?

No, I wouldn't, I'll buy a different one from someone else who isn't an arse...

Posted this one somewhere else.

I bought a SRAM 2 x 10 crankset. I was the only bidder and as always I bid in the last few seconds, won it, and paid straight away.

Five minutes later I got an e-mail from the seller that said "I looked at the listing with ten seconds to go and as no one had bid I sold it to a friend"

I sent him a reply saying politely that if he had wanted more money, he should have put a higher price on it.

It didn't do any good, so I reported him to ebay who told me that as I had paid for the item before the seller contacted me, then the seller had broken distance selling regulations and breached ebays T&C's.

Nothing came of it, and the guy is still on ebay and has done the same thing to two other people.

At risk of being flamed there is another point of view.
If you list something on eBay at 99p rather than submitting the item at its real value then you will reduce the extortionate charges that eBay have started to levy for using their site in return for little or no support from them at all, and at least these sellers aren't getting their friends to bump up the price fraudulently.

That said, they should put in the description what price they are looking for and invite offers to be made. No seller in their right mind is going to let something go that's worth a few quid for a fraction of its value. I accept its not good form but put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself would you really be happy if you got 99p for a bike rack that's maybe worth £50?

1210tech":1rkjash9 said:
At risk of being flamed there is another point of view.
If you list something on eBay at 99p rather than submitting the item at its real value then you will reduce the extortionate charges that eBay have started to levy for using their site in return for little or no support from them at all, and at least these sellers aren't getting their friends to bump up the price fraudulently.

That said, they should put in the description what price they are looking for and invite offers to be made. No seller in their right mind is going to let something go that's worth a few quid for a fraction of its value. I accept its not good form but put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself would you really be happy if you got 99p for a bike rack that's maybe worth £50?

Simple fact of the matter is - don't start your listing at 99p if you're not happy to let it go for that. The only fees you'll be avoiding by starting low is an insertion fee, and more often than not these are free anyway. Final value fee is based (up to a certain value) on a percentage of the selling price.

GT-Steve":bhceu7g2 said:
Simple fact of the matter is - don't start your listing at 99p if you're not happy to let it go for that. The only fees you'll be avoiding by starting low is an insertion fee, and more often than not these are free anyway. Final value fee is based (up to a certain value) on a percentage of the selling price.

No seller starts their listing at 99p thinking/being happy that's it's going to sell for that and eBay don't offer zero listing every week, it's maybe once a month. Last time I listed something starting at 99p the listing fees worked out at £1.48 before I'd even sold the item and then ebay take 10% of the final price and then, if your are using Paypal, there is a charge to withdraw your money to a bank account, and buyers are still surprised and upset when an item they have won, yes fairly & squarely, is withdrawn because the seller didn't get the true value.

I'd like to add that I have never done this, and yes, I have been on the receiving end and it is frustrating, but when you step back and think about it, it makes sense.

Back