quick q for parents with kids at school

jamabikes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
i did a dr bike session at a primary school today. free servicing and free replacement of basic spares. there were about 300 kids at this primary school and only 12 bikes showed up.

if your local school did this, what would your thoughts be?

The primary school my daughter goes to only has about 110 pupils of which about 10 ride to school.
If you gave them a few weeks notice you might get a few more but i wouldn't be surprised if 10 was your lot.

It also depends on what year you were aiming at - my stepsons could only bring their bike to school after a certain age and after they had done their cycling profiency, although everyone had their own bikes.

Also never ever trust a child to actually give their parents any paperwork of any importance in time to actually be able to do anything about it.

My daughters school doesn't allow bikes to be brought into the school grounds :roll:

rosstheboss":3vhabmq2 said:
It also depends on what year you were aiming at - my stepsons could only bring their bike to school after a certain age and after they had done their cycling profiency, although everyone had their own bikes.

Also never ever trust a child to actually give their parents any paperwork of any importance in time to actually be able to do anything about it.

+1 to that - see if the school uses Teachers to Parents (web based texting system). A text message is (usually) more reliable when communicating school stuff.

My primary school does cycling proficiency tests and when my son came with a road bike they said it was not suitable as he could not balance on it, what crap. He did pass it though.

Alison

as a retired cycling prof teach i have had many a day where the child showed up in tears because mum/dad/that nice man next door never bothered to get round to getting the bike out the shed...i got so fed up with having to turn kids away i went and got a nice bmx for them to use...then i lost me job ...go figure.i do recall some groups coming round to do this sort of thing here but not much came of it.my biggest problem was finding helpers so the lessons could go ahead..

Never mind school, my lad rides his bike to preschool :cool:

I'm sure I saw some numbers for modes of transport to my daughter's school, but I can't remember what they were. Based on the number of bikes in the racks of a morning it's probably not more than 10-15%.

Latest posts

Back