Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm 
Retro Guru

Augustus wrote:

Film is on the up again anyway, has seen the darkest days and is having a small renaissance.

Andy - keep your OM. the better film kit is rising in price.

G

I'll probably never get rid of it, to be honest. I did part with a couple of bodies (OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti) but they weren't cameras that I'd had for as long as the M-1 and OM-1, which I've owned and used for forty years.

I keep meaning to take the M-1 and just a 21/f2.0 and 85/f2.0 to Greece with me but up until now I've always taken digital stuff. I should do it this year as a sort of 40th anniversary project. They're all good to go.....One body, two lenses in a tiny Peli case 8)

Attachments:
M-1.jpg
M-1.jpg [ 120.6 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

Last edited by Andy R on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Koupe wrote:
The fact that it's all almost valueless means that you can give it a go without worrying whether you'll take to it or not. I bought an old Praktica with 50mm & tele lenses from a charity shop for £25, on the off-chance I might enjoy getting into film photography. I do really enjoy it, but if I'd hated it/been crap, it was only a fairly small outlay.
The only thing you'd need to invest well in, in the long term, is a negative scanner (assuming you don't want to pay a local developer to do all your films) - decent quality ones can be pricey.

How does a negative scanner work? Do I just put the reel of film through it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
How does a negative scanner work? Do I just put the reel of film through it?

No, you have to have the film developed first, then you place it in a holder and use a standard scanner that is cabable of negative scanning or a dedicated negative/film scanner. This converts it to a positive digital image and then you can mess about with it and print it with Photoshop or some other digital image editing software much as you would any other digital image.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/35mm-film-scanner-roundup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm 
Mr Benn
Mr Benn

Andy R wrote:
Augustus wrote:
I keep meaning to take the M-1 and just a 21/f2.0 and 85/f2.0 to Greece with me but up until now I've always taken digital stuff.

I lugged £10k of EOS1's up the pyrenees in Nov (admittedly in a car but the last 100m was on foot...;-) ) and my iphone took a better picture then either of them. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm 
Retro Guru

[quote="Augustus"][quote="Andy R"][quote="Augustus"]
I keep meaning to take the M-1 and just a 21/f2.0 and 85/f2.0 to Greece with me but up until now I've always taken digital stuff.[/quote]

I lugged £10k of EOS1's up the pyrenees in Nov (admittedly in a car but the last 100m was on foot...;-) ) and my iphone took a better picture then either of them. :lol:[/quote]

You must be using the 1D's in a strange way if your IPhone takes better shots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:48 pm 
Retro Guru

Andy R wrote:
I'll probably never get rid of it, to be honest. I did part with a couple of bodies (OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti) but they weren't cameras that I'd had for as long as the M-1 and OM-1, which I've owned and used for forty years.

The OM's are such great cameras, even the slightly less prestigious versions - my brother's OM40 is easily my most favourite camera of all those I've ever used (including modern Nikon and Canon DSLRs)

It's just such a perfect shape and size and so nicely made; the controls are laid out exactly where I can use them without thinking and the metering is modern enough and versatile enough to make it practical. The OM-10 that I inherited isn't quite as nice to use (though then again it doesn't eat batteries in the same way)

Sadly none of that kit has been used for quite a few years now; despite years of insisting that I didn't want or need a camera in my phone I use it almost every single day and the results are easily good enough for most of what I'm doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm 
Retro Guru

this looks like a bargain

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5mp-compact-fil ... ner-647101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Im surprised nobody has got their Zenith out :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:56 pm 
Retro Guru

dyna-ti wrote:

:) We do have one of those kicking around somewhere too... proper commie equipment that. Probably better used for beating off muggers than taking photos though! Even in the early 90s I always found Russian stuff kind of eerie somehow, like it belonged to a different world... we used to see the Russian and other Eastern Bloc sailors on the West Coast when they occasionally came ashore from the Klondykers and they definitely belonged to a different world, they were like fish out of water in my memory...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 am 
Mr Benn
Mr Benn

dyna-ti wrote:

Saw one in a charity shop today for 5p more than you could by one new in 1989.