best saddle/shorts for your lunchbox

sylus

Old School Grand Master
I know this will go down the route of double' entendres' and boasting/micky taking but for some of us it's an issue..it's not boasting

Some of us are reasonably ..well endowed and sometimes cycling is not the best exercise considering you largely sit on the base of ya chap and the chaffing

i just know I'm going to regret this :D

does anyone who is ..erm... having this issue know of a good saddle or shorts/leggings/liners etc that still allows a decent support whilst not having the issues of a larger appendage but still enjoying cycling :D

Should you be sitting on the base of your hampton? I'd look at your position when you sit on the bike perhaps you're too stretched out?

SDG Bel Air, preferably the Ti railed version. I really rate them and have them on all my bikes - all set-up so that the highest point at the rear of the saddle is 12mm higher than the nose.
And as above - look at your overall bike set-up, IMO some people go overboard on being really stretched out on a bike and while the flat back type position might be more aerodynamic we're talking about mountain bikes here and my opinion is that you're better off being far more "centred" on the bike.
What's your saddle to handlebar drop?

What Andy R said... The saddle on my stumpy ( no pun intended!!) slipped back over time and I ended up riding on the base of 'junior' which caused quite a lot of pain! Changed the saddle angle and it was like sitting on a cushion again!

Currently running an SDG Bel Air ti, a Charge Spoon, and a Flite, all cone recommended.

rosstheboss":1fry9v9m said:
The saddle on my stumpy ( no pun intended!!)
*with this type of pun, waits for someone to offer an opinion who rides a 'Monster Fat'...* :LOL: :LOL:

Back on topic, perhaps a gel undershort would be better if you are currently using a foam one? I am a big chap (by that I mean overweight, not that I am hung like a donkey...) and the foam shorts I have are good, but gel will provide more useful support.

I think the trick is to buy quality in this department, so to speak.

Gents thanks for the replies..more than I expected

The saddle vs my positioning is on the money thankfully but the problem has been for me anyway the junk dept. I'm not likely to stand side by side and compare, (done that, I'm fed up of winning :LOL: ) but it was more about support for the bits and keeping them reasonably under control

This has raised it's head (pun intended) due to the new purchase the moonlander. Being a slower but hugely enjoyable bike I find it's easy to be out riding half a day sometimes all day and with that amount of time in the saddle the old junk is becoming noticeable

Thanks for he link to the under crackers, it was something like that and the saddles that were mentioned that look like the routes to follow

sylus":poqg3qwa said:
Some of us are reasonably ..well endowed

Pictures?

Always been a fan of Specialized V-Groove profile saddles. Rivals, Aliases etc., with the centre hole especially. Probably just psychological but you do seem to get more 'air', and they actually put a slope on the nose as well for when you are forward in the saddle climbing. Changing posture frequently is definitely helpful, to that end a set of bar ends is the doozy.

Decent snug intimate wear deals with any problems with flailing/abrasion. Dressing to a different side each time you have the chance.

If you are dealing like I am with exceptional length, reinforced bicycle clips keep a firm grip to the bitter end. I find an XXL Lycra sports bra deals with the plums.

What about balls?

I sometimes have a problem with my right nad not sitting right and over a longer ride giving me grief. Never sure where it sits when it doesn't give me grief, but that happens too. :LOL:

Very tough question to respond to as what is comfortable will differ considerably from person to person.

That said, a good quality pair of bibshorts that fit properly and a saddle that is positioned neither nose up or nose down is a pretty good place to start. For what it is worth, Arione's are very comfortable among modern saddles with the extra length giving you plenty of options for moving around although not sure they are an obvios match for a Moonlander.

Back