Non emergency Police contact

About a year or so back i think, they did have an 0845 number for a while before that aswell i seem to recall!

I'm not sure how long, around a year I thought, but yes I think it is a great idea.

Alison

Over here we use 101 for emergencies and another (longer) number for non-urgent stuff and asking general police-related info.

Sure beats looking up the local police station's number.

Yeah the old one was 0845 something (111 999?) so obviously cost and most people didnt really remember it. Have seen this around on occasion but it needs more publicity as its very useful.

Agreed, the 0845 number was way too long to remember, i had to ring 999 when my car was stolen a few years back, as id just watched them drive away, and didnt know of any other number to ring!

You can also dial through to any police officer if you have their badge number. You dial a number where the end of the number is their badge number, to get through to them or their voice mail. What a bloody good idea!

On the other hand, there is a story that a Police chappy has been calling for 999 calls to cost 50p to discourage pranksters.

Madness.

Might be worth a shot, if it will discourage muppets from dialling 999 and making hoax calls/reports!

Retro Cat":8btpcsfs said:
You can also dial through to any police officer if you have their badge number. You dial a number where the end of the number is their badge number, to get through to them or their voice mail. What a bloody good idea!

Don't believe all you hear, Police have personal issue radios that can make calls too, but you can't call them direct, that would be madness.

50p to discourage prank/hoax/non emergency calls would be ace, would you bother about 50p if you had just been attacked or had something stolen?

Back