Do you live on a bomb-site?

as a side to this my okd school was a pow camp..and where my scout hut was it had hooks in the rafters and bullet holes at head height,,those were the days..forces brat in the fatherland

yes, good post,

our old flat in Camden is in a row of early victorian houses in classic London terrace format and then suddenly stop with 1950s concrete flats replacing, further down the terrace the victorian buildings / facade continue......

and low and behold, a big red dot on the map................its what we guessed anyway as close to Euston sidings but all ties in

A bomb at each end of our (rather short) road in Islington.

Quite eye opening image looking at the city as a whole, and presumably these are just the known impacts that detonated.

I'd love to see a similar map for Hamburg. A real eye-opener into how widely London was bombed

There was a time team a while ago where they excavated a bomb site in east London, Poplar iirc, it was very interesting, an entire street destroyed. It seems very hard to imagine these days.

i dont live on one, nor do i work on one, but where i work there is a cement/hardcore factory behind us.
after dredging the surface of the shoreline for gravel, they sometimes bring back a bomb or 2 which often require safely detonating.
a few times i've been caught out by an exploding grenade whilst tucking into a sandwich outside.... :shock:

Back