What kind of wood panel is this?

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
situated under the tiling in our kitchen. i need to find a similar wood to finish off under the space where the washing machine will eventually go (so i can cover with something that will absorb some vibrations and avoid moisture damage should the machine leak)

its 4mm thick, but i cant figure out what this type of wood is called....if you can call it a wood.
seems more like a compressed/reconstituted mixture.....

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 459
hardboard

if you want something softer*, look for fibre underlay for laminate flooring

it is usually thicker but does appear to come in 4 mm thickness - B&Q sell it but not sure if they have 4 mm thick.

* softer does not mean it is spongey, but softer than hardboard.

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibre-Sound-B ... 27ce60d3ba

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That looks to be a fibreboard type material that is flexible. Your tiles look like they are laid straight on top with no adhesive underneath or grout between, is that correct? If so what is to stop water seeping between the tiles?

tiles are self adhesive. nothing else used as far as i can see.
its the same in our bathroom (and subsequently water in there has passed in between the tiles and lifted them off). so having to replace some tiles in there as well.

what would you suggest to help prevent water getting below the tiles?

It looks like the tiles have been fixed down without space or grout between them. Hardboard is not waterproof at all, so if any water gets to it, it will absorb it and swell up. I'm not an expert, so I'm not sure what the best way to sort it would be now.

xerxes":3qcwi9ml said:
It looks like the tiles have been fixed down without space or grout between them. Hardboard is not waterproof at all, so if any water gets to it, it will absorb it and swell up. I'm not an expert, so I'm not sure what the best way to sort it would be now.

are you supposed to grout between self adhesive lino tiles? they're only a few mm thick so not sure how much use the grout would be..??

Im going to throw MDF into the answers here because thats what i think it is :D It its in layers then it is possibly hardboard :?
Though i would add that the standard it to lay 12mm plywood under tile flooring[i think the standard is 9mm minimum :? ] If your floor was laid prior to the plywood being introduced as a standard- 1970's or thereabouts then it would be the idea to research what was used prior to ply :?

The cross pattern on top is probably an imprint from the underside of a carpet ;)

Back