stupid garage

dirtydozen

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
With this stupid weather my garage is flooding summat rotten which i can handle but im also getting really bad condensation to boot which i cant. My bikes are getting a sheen of water on em. Im gonna bring them in the house tomo but any ideas how i can stop this happening would be appreciated

My garage isn't leaking at all but I still have the condensation sheen on metal things and some green life on the dartboard. I would be interested in a possible solution as well.

Is it just the sheer amount of pish weather kicking about coupled with flinging smelly muddy bikes, motorbikes and quads etc in there after use ?

First, stop the flooding. Then you can put a Dehumidifier in there-we had one as a kid in the Midwest, where there is a lot of moisture in the air-it would fill a bucket with water from the air in the room in about a day! Alternatively you could heat the room.

Would hte condensation not be due to interstitial dew points, or summat?
Its slightly warmer in the garage than the bare outside, so the cold air from outside condenses on the slightly warmer surfaces inside.

I think.

+1 on Pat's suggestion to get a dehumidifier. I have one in the garage that I run in the spring time if it gets really damp. Winters here are for the most part always sub zero, so there's virtually no moisture in the air then (actually have to run a humidifier in the house to add moisture). My toolboxes have silica dry packs in all the drawers to keep the tools dry as well.

wild temperature fluctuations will cause the condensation as the air in the garage will take longer to warm up. All the metals will take longer to match the outside temps and will get condensation on them.

Its best to keep a dry garage warm during the coldest nights.

As for wet garages, check any soakaways and drainage around the outside, explore and prod with an old set of handlebars. Clear any leaves and debris to keep everything flowing. Make sure the roof doesnt leak either!

Warm wet garages are great for mould and fungus growth - saddles, grips, magazines etc - they all end up damp and 'orrible.

metal is a good conductor of heat (ie atoms easily transfer energy to each other, and cold being lack of heat) so will heat up and cool down faster than poor conductors,

water will condense on cold surfaces, eg metal in garage or inside surface of windows when water vapour in warmer air (inside house / garage) touches colder surface. Solutions are to remove water vapour but also to avoid wide temperature fluctuations, so better heating on constant low level rather than on, heat up, off cool down.

dehumidifyer will fix problem................

Back