Question to John and other people here

Wasmachineman NL

Senior Retro Guru
Why not make an user a Marketplace Moderator? Like cleaning up topics with bumps etc and locking SOLD threads?
Who thinks this is a good idea? Gimme some feedback and we'll see? :cool:

There are moderators on the For Sale boards.
I don't think it's really necessary to lock old threads though. It's quite amusing when some time traveller discovers a rare and exotic item sold in 2006...

It seems the running of this site is a little different to the one im a mod on, we try and close threads that are finished/sold or whatever, that way you dont get plums rooting through about fifty pages to find a thread from about six years prior, and then bumping it!

And its the job of all mods to do this across the whole forum, not just one or two mods per section, not having a pop at anyone here btw, and i hope it doesnt come across that i am.

I was quite surprised to find that some threads can lie dormant for a couple of years, and the item still be available for sale, mainly in the car scene, if a thread is not touched for a long period of time, it means the item has gone, or the user doesnt frequent the board anymore!

Site I mod on we rarely close anything. Its a large forum but easy way to spot potentials for banning as only new folk bump old threads asking for stuff and 9 out of 10 are leaches anyway.

it happens so rarely here I think that's why it's not a problem

Although it does gimme the chuckles when I see someone asking if the bike is still for sale from the 2006 posts :LOL:

the last specific 'for sale' section moderator was like leaving a hungry alligator in, well, it was equally as tasteless as anything I can think of and it didnt end well...

legrandefromage":okdwr9hg said:
the last specific 'for sale' section moderator was like leaving a hungry alligator in, well, it was equally as tasteless as anything I can think of and it didnt end well...

I remember that well it was like leaving a "crackhead" in charge of a pharmacists :?

The site I mod on has a completed trades section so it is the users responsibility to close and transfer their thread to the completed trades area. Sometimes some cleaning is required but it works extremely well IMO :D

Inzaman":ioilazxb said:
The site I mod on has a completed trades section so it is the users responsibility to close and transfer their thread to the completed trades area. Sometimes some cleaning is required but it works extremely well IMO :D
Maybe, but there really isn't anything wrong with the present system. It's comfy, like a retrobiker's shed...

The system we have now is a good compromise. Nothing's perfect, there are always pros/cons for different systems.
Rules = modding, so try and keep it simple! :D

Back