Plebgate - the real question is a bike a vehicle?

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Never mind who called who what and putting aside any prejudices, I want to know is it policy that cycles must exit through the pedestrian exit or the officer decided or was told not to open the main gate for cycles.

Judging from Mitchell's reaction it seemed that cycles do usually exit from the main gate.

So to me it seemed either there was a security issue that day and they wanted to limit the main gate opening or the officer was just being an arse.

Either way I think it highlights bicycles awkward position on our roads, is it a vehicle or not?

Anyone know or care?

I don't know - perhaps it could be something do do with Police potentially fabricating evidence...

Anyway I'm sure there are plenty of debates about that, I just want to know about the cycling part. The main gates are a vehicle exit, is a bicycle a vehicle or a pedestrian accompaniment such as an umbrella?

The Police and the Conservatives are at war behind closed doors, this is just the tip of the iceberg spilling out into the public domain. I don't condone the copper who "sexed up" the incident at all, but Mitchell needs to wind his neck in and stop trying to play the victim when he himself was the original agressor and should have been upfront in the first place by giving his version of events word for word. But honesty is not the elitist posh boy Tory way now is it?

retrocomeback":r67w849a said:
The Police and the Conservatives are at war behind closed doors, this is just the tip of the iceberg spilling out into the public domain. I don't condone the copper who "sexed up" the incident at all, but Mitchell needs to wind his neck in and stop trying to play the victim when he himself was the original agressor and should have been upfront in the first place by giving his version of events word for word. But honesty is not the elitist posh boy Tory way now is it?

But is a bicycle a vehicle or a pedestrian accompaniment?

A bicycle is a bicycle in the eyes of the law, it is certainly not a vehicle of any description under the road traffic act

I give a shit about the bicycle aspect of it.

A bicycle is not allowed to cycle on the pavement. It must cycle on the road or cycle path.

So the correct access/egress would be the road gate rather than the pavement gate.

If there was no serious security issue with the road gate, then the copper was obviously just being a lazy/awkward bastard telling him to use the pedestrian gate.

The bloke was sticking up for his rights as a cyclist, for which I applaud him.

The rest of the story after that point is just typical of the farce that is media/politics in this country. :evil:

And before anyone accuses me of bias, I proper hate the Tories. ;)

On the other hand...

When I worked as a messenger, and now when I am cycling to friends with electronic gates, etc. I just go through the pedestrian gate.

Nothing to do with rights as a cyclist, just practicality and consideration.

Of course if it was a very busy pedestrian entrance, or it had steps I would expect the main gate to be opened for me.

A bike is a vehicle of sorts. I haven't read up on it, but certain rules are applied to it in terms of basic requirements in how it is set up and ridden, and you can be prosecuted for using it in contravention to the rules.

retrocomeback":yoimac7o said:
But honesty is not the elitist posh boy Tory way now is it?

Swap 'elitist posh boy Tory' for Jewish, black, Muslim, French or homosexual and that would be moderated, deleted or locked.

Strange that the usual suspects don't see fit to point out this particular example of ism stereotyping. Anything goes if you've a few quid in your pocket, all bets are off.

Back