What's the cheapest way to heat a room ?

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
We have just gone over to Scotish power a cheap fixed ratethingy. We were paying £40 a month to the previous company, now i know when you 1st go over it's takes a while to ajust the monthly DB but it's gone from 32 to 40 and now £61 in the past 2 weeks??? i know it's winter but the reason i chose them is because they were the cheapest at the time.

Also they like to have your meter readings reversed (econ 7) so rate 1 and 2 are reversed ? on their site it says they regard rate 1 as night and rate 2 as day.......our meter is the other way round. Our last bill seems to reflect the right usage for each one, so why do they insist you put the figures in the other way round ??

So back to the question, is one of those halogen heaters cheaper to run(on day rate) than a large storage heater on econ 7 ?

Economy 7 is always cheaper. In both cases all the energy goes into heat. So you are best off using the storage heaters.

I've read it's the case, but you have to run them 'too hot' in the day for them to still be warm enough for night....

you fill them with heat at night, and they slowly radiate it during the day. The cheaper way to heat your home would be GFCH, but we don't have gas in our block, so have to make do with storage heaters. At least I'm on the South coast, so it doesn't get that cold, so its OK

A woodburning stove would be the best bet, cheap to run, good dry heat but may not be practical for you. Those halogen things just suck electricity, gas bottle fires cause condensation and damp, an oil filled radiator may be an idea. Sadly with anything electrical it'll be a struggle to find economy....

used to have multi stove with back boiler and thosands of acres of woods.....but in rented suburbia now.

If you have blocked up fireplace, open it up get a stack pipe that extends about 1.5m into the chimney and robert's your mothers brother.

greenstiles":el32v5p8 said:
I've read it's the case, but you have to run them 'too hot' in the day for them to still be warm enough for night....

We had them once. Rubbish idea.

I've always found storage heaters about the worst form of heating to have. Usually, when you move supplier they will have calculated your annual use and set you DD amount to suit. If you move during winter this will most likely create a negative amount owing on your bill, although your reduced usage during summer will clear the amount. If they've adjusted the payment you'll probably find you're well in credit by mid summer.

Worth checking what you were paying per kWh with your old supplier compared with now.

Back