The Big Ole' Blues Appreciation Thread - You Got 'Em?

RustyGold

Senior Retro Guru
I did have a quick search around to see if this topic, or one similar, had been created beforehand. I didn't find anything quite like it so I thought I'd give it a bash :).

Anyway, I have always enjoyed Blues music a great deal - I particularly like the County/Acoustic side of the blues - I enjoy it's spirit and it's gritty and rootsy approach to connecting with its listener. I thought I would try to connect with any RetroBike'ers out there who've got the blues....and like it ;).

Something to kick things off:

» Mississippi John Hurt - Spike Driver Blues

» Belton Sutherland - Blues No.2

» R L Burnside - Poor Black Mattie

» Booker 'Bukka' White - Aberdeen Mississippi Blues

» Mississippi Fred McDowell - Shake 'Em on Down

lumos2000":2urm4lt7 said:
i recomend watching rick stein tastes the blues, you may be able to find it on i player as it was on the other day ;)

gota love seasick steve http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMf-em-56Mc :D

I've always enjoyed Delia Smith's How to Snootily-Cater your Jazz Party :D.

Seasick Steve has got mojo, for sure. He's got that traditional Diddley Bow/Cigar Box angle working for him.

In a similar vein Mr. T-Model Ford is rather good at his brand of Lo-Fi Alt-Electric Blues (Think Fat Possum ;))

Check it: T-Model Ford - ChickenHead Man

greenstiles":1ltoo8gr said:
mamma thornton :D

Gotta love a bit, or a lot, of Big Mama Thornton ;)

» Big Mama Thornton - Ball and Chain

Some of my other favourite women of the blues;

» Ma' Rainey - Black Bottom

» Memphis Minnie - Ma' Rainey

» Memphis Minnie - Hoodoo Lady

And my all time favourite, of the women of the blues, Geeshie Wiley. She had such a unique style, in both voice and guitar. She was woefully under-recorded and to this day remains a figure of mystery:

» Geeshie Wiley - Last Kind Words

» Geeshie Wiley - Skinny Leg Blues

» Geeshie Wiley - Eagles on a Half

Not a connoisseur but do have a bit of Bb King. Jimmy Witherspoon,John Lee Hooker,Howlin Wolf and Robert Johnson in the collection. And call it sacrilege if you like but I think Jack White did more to generate interest in the blues than anyone since Jimmy Page. Just watched it might get loud yesterday again.

Back