FACT: But the facts cannot be denied and are that the US has one of the highest ratios of guns (including automatic, semi-automatic, assault etc.} to population in the civilised (and not-civilised, whatever that is) world. It also has one of the highest ratios of deaths (accidental and deliberate) by shooting in the world.
I believe the u.s. is 10th* after many south american countries but do agree it's the one we think of straight away and wether 1st, 10th or 100th..if there is a chance to reduce these numbers then they should be looked at
1. Somehow I cannot believe that the two are not connected
2. A significant reduction in gun ownership would reduce deaths by gun (numbers which would not be made up by knives, bow & arrows, crossbows, etc.)
3. Life in the US would go on and its citizens would not lose any important freedoms
4. The government would not suddenly start acting like tyrants to its citizens and Russia/ China/ Iran (whoever is enemy number one at the time} would not invade.
I think on 1 the problem isn't reducing the amount of guns but reducing the amount of guns getting into the wrong hands and that may mean a national rather than state set of rules
on 2 that would seem a reasonable assumption but again it falls into more correct ownership
3..how often do we hear the state is intruding on our life and taking away our civil rights? and that is the difficult balance the u.s. government and u.s. states now must address
Personally the right idea was not to make snap knee jerk reactions and assurances that this will be dealt with sooner than later I hope is truthfull. I do worry however that Obama was president for 4 years before during other mass shootings and nothing was done then
I still maintain it's a generational thing as most kids today are not interested in hunting, target shooting and over the next 30 years you will see a dramatic decline in gun sales and use. At some point in the future nationwide legislation will take place but for now we have to hope that innocent people on both sides of the debate are not punished through the acts of madmen
* to make this easier for those that use it i have added a wikipedia reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate