Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
I spent several years of my life in a relationship with a witness of the McDonald's massacre.

Sometimes I used to wake to find her cowering in the corner of the room, inconsolably disturbed by flashback nightmares.

Over and over again we see this, from Dunblane, Hungerford, Virginia and all the rest.

It really is time.

I know this is a hot button topic, but we are an international site and as such, we have varying experiences of gun control.

I think we can all agree that 20 year old kids should not be able to access semi automatic weapons.

Too soon to talk about the current happening, but even those among us who love guns know what needs to happen.

This could be one of Obama's legacy issues.

God or whatever anyone believes in be with everyone involved.

Not too many guns here due to the strict laws. Then again there's plenty of illegal ones still.
Now they plan on making the law stricter still by outlawing semi-automatic firearms too. So all we'll have are hunting rifles, shotguns and classical revolvers.

Will this stop such things from happening? Not in my book. At best it'll slow down anyone who is willing to cause a massacre and stupid enough to acquire their weapons legally.

As for 20 year olds with semi-automatic rifles, I don't see the problem. There are plenty of youngsters who are perfectly stable, mature and capable of handling them responsibly.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of older people who can't even be trusted with a steak knife.

Me, I am all for gun control ... as long as they allow the right people to bear arms. Unfortunately it's very difficult to determine whether or not someone should be allowed anywhere near a weapon.

An appaling state of affairs which will be glorified by the US media, expect the made for tv film soon.

As I said in another post, it's probably a question of environment and education than anything else. Look at Switzerland, the higest percentage of gun ownership anywhere in the world, most swiss nationals over 21 have a firearm and yet it has one of the lowest murder rates or violent crime IN THE WORLD. Again in France and Germany, gun ownership is high but low murder rates.
The problem lies with the US and it's continual glamourisation of crime and guns, it's constant outpouring of films where violence and death are the central theme.

Just as an aside, why the adulation of such characters as hannibal lecter and why so many sequels to the film saw ? What the **** is wrong with people ?

There will probably never be any meaningful legislation on guns in the US because it would

A: Be incredibly difficult to police because of the sheer amount of fireams extant in the US and with all the parasites and leeches, sorry, lawyers the government would end up being sued and sued and sued.
B) given even the most mild mannered americans attitude to 'the right to bear arms' and the devotion to their guns of the Texans what do you think would happen.

2nd Amendment
'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed'

This will be used by nutballs etc against the government to protect themselves 'against a common aggressor' i.e. The government who wants to take their toys away.

In a country where 75% of the population believe in angels and 20% believe they have been abducted by aliens....

Guns don't kill people, people kill people kill people.

However having an automatic rifle and copious amounts of ammunition will make the job easier.

The gun control we have in the UK is a little strict but works (apart from the fact you can have a crossbow with no issues at all, I have always found that strange).

The seriousness of these incidents is down to the type of weapon and the ammunition carried.

It's sad but it's down to Humans being arseholes, if someone want s to go on a killing spree then they will go on one whether it's with an AK-47 or a pair of scissors.

The thing is it's harder to go on a killing rampage with a pair of scissors - you can be thwarted by a rock for example.

we don't know yet how he got these hand guns. The law in most US states on hand guns is very strict.

If a persons wants a gun then they will find a way to get one either legal eg Norway shooting or illegal such as bank robbers.

This boy had a problem and snapped and took it out on his parents then his old school. Once he had started their was no turning back for him.

Other countries have liberal gun laws and don't have this problem.

America has a very very long history of this type of crime. Perhaps a very American type of crime?

China had similar last week but using a large knife. Injured 22 children & teachers. That was with security on the main gate.

would be interesting to hear a american point of view,as in the uk the average person would have very little contact with a gun in everyday life

yes, if guns are illegal people can get them. However, it is difficult, and you have to know the right (wrong) people to do this. Gun laws in the US are anything but strict, and it is simply too easy for a nutjob to buy one from Walmart, and then go and shoot kids. Not talking about current case, as it's too soon, and not enough info.

Quoting Goldie Looking Chain isn't the right thing at mo. Yes, it's true, but if they are easy to get hold of, the people are more likely to do it.

The collective opinion of around twelve currently resident US folks, half of whom have a military background, is that this is a game changer.

Raging_Bulls":3odn4xf9 said:
Not too many guns here due to the strict laws. Then again there's plenty of illegal ones still.
Now they plan on making the law stricter still by outlawing semi-automatic firearms too. So all we'll have are hunting rifles, shotguns and classical revolvers.

Will this stop such things from happening? Not in my book. At best it'll slow down anyone who is willing to cause a massacre and stupid enough to acquire their weapons legally.

As for 20 year olds with semi-automatic rifles, I don't see the problem. There are plenty of youngsters who are perfectly stable, mature and capable of handling them responsibly.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of older people who can't even be trusted with a steak knife.

Me, I am all for gun control ... as long as they allow the right people to bear arms. Unfortunately it's very difficult to determine whether or not someone should be allowed anywhere near a weapon.

No it isn't . Merely wanting anything more butch than a hunting rifle rules out an applicant on the grounds of mental instability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back