TEFL?

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I got asked by a younger relative if I knew anything about TEFL as I lived & worked in France some years ago, yet not in teaching. I was looking around the net with her for info & it's strangely confusing! She's going to look at talking to her Uni about it, but wondered if anybody on here has done it? What are the requirements?...

Just thought I'd ask as this site can be a mine of info.
Cheers
Andy

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/celta/index.html

a celta is the basic starter course, some schools will take on volunters to gain experiance, theres no real requirment to do a tefl course

i recently did this one i found cheep on groupon. http://www.teflexpress.co.uk/pages/TEFL_Courses

theres normaly lots of students advertising on gumtree looking for cheep conversation lessons to gain experiance, though im in bournemouth which is full of schools and students.

theres also lots of forums online for teachers you can find loads of info there

I don't think there are any specific requirements, except a native level of english.
I think there is a vast difference in the courses offered though - some are 2 day courses and don't lead to an officially recognised qualification. The cambridge one from what I've read is one of the 'official' ones (there may be others), that lasts several weeks and has in-class training and practice.

native level is a prity lax term seeing most natives can't speek the language propely. there is a proficiency test that foreign students need to take befour taking the celta, native speekers dont need to

A 2 really good friend fell into the TEFL life a few years back and both loved it. One did it in Japan for 2 years and now works as a journalist in London and the other guy taught in Italy for two or three years and found he loved it so much that he undertook 'proper' teacher training and is now an English teacher at a private school in Prague.

Coming to think of it, the girl who went to Japan was visited by her elder brother, who liked what he saw and also became a TEFL teacher. However he enjoyed it so much that he went native, married a local and has two chipset there and no plans of returning! :cool:

Back