Drugs

All drugs should be legalized, but controlled. Dispensaries in chemists, strictly 18+, ID required, and it noted what you are purchasing, albeit in limited quantities, restricted on a weekly basis. Taxed to keep price high, as the reason it's high now is because of danger money. If it is legal, those costs will go, so the government should make money from it, to keep it high, as high price reduces consumption.

This will take the drugs out of criminals hands, reduce people being pushed onto harder drugs. Pharmacists are trained medical people, and can make notes on their details, flagging possible addiction issues, adverse affects etc.

This not only makes the drugs safer, and communities, it also makes drugs, while available, not easy, and not cool. It would also generate much needed income for the country, while reducing the cost to police them.

Legalise them all, let everyone know of the dangers, regulate supply and quality, remove drug dealers and their associated crime from society and tax all substances appropriately.

Easy.

Edit* I wrote this while Pyro Tim was writing too!

I had this conversation with my class yesterday (part of the course I teach).
The general opinion was cannabis should be legalised because of the non aggressive nature of the effects as opposed to alcohol. I would agree even though I dont smoke or drink but I see, constantly, the effects alcohol has on peoples lives on tv police camera shows ect. I know two people who have thrown away their families and own lives in favour of drink and cannot function unless they are smashed out of their heads, and I know 1 person who smokes weed like he was going to die tomorrow and seemingly leads a normal life with a job car house family ect.
personally I cant see the point in altering your state of mind, it is what it is but the pain relief bit I get and the social side of drinking, but because I feel I would be more at risk from a drunk person than a stoner through pure aggression (oi you looking at my bird/spilled my pint) type moron, I would say weed is the way forward :D

We dont need drugs in here we get an Al.Apart from when he sods off to Italy on holiday.

Pyro Tim":16sacsv8 said:
All drugs should be legalized, but controlled. Dispensaries in chemists, strictly 18+, ID required, and it noted what you are purchasing, albeit in limited quantities, restricted on a weekly basis. Taxed to keep price high, as the reason it's high now is because of danger money. If it is legal, those costs will go, so the government should make money from it, to keep it high, as high price reduces consumption.

This will take the drugs out of criminals hands, reduce people being pushed onto harder drugs. Pharmacists are trained medical people, and can make notes on their details, flagging possible addiction issues, adverse affects etc.

This not only makes the drugs safer, and communities, it also makes drugs, while available, not easy, and not cool. It would also generate much needed income for the country, while reducing the cost to police them.

I am sure I am not the only one here that has dabbled in all sorts of things in their youth... but I reckon I enjoyed them longer and more frequent than most......

There will always be a black market, and With limits on dispensing hardend users will seek to get more than is deemed allowed or suitable, which will push up blackmarket prices beyond the counter values, it will still need to be policed therefore, and will not get rid of the secondary crimes associated with drug addiction (theft, robbery, burglary by users, and violence, murder between producers etc)

Unfortunately, its an all or nothing situation, whereby its either status quo or licenced as is the case with alcohol. However as we see with booze on a weekend, even tight licence controls, security and heavy policing do not reduce the costs to society..... we will NEVER see a time when drugs are decriminalized, and to be honest, I dont think we should, or would we want to.

Imagine all the coked up, pilled up meth headed drunks on a bender at the weekend.... its bad enough when the've Jagerbombed a few WKD Blue's and Cheeky Vimto's!
vomit.gif

G

One key part of it is education. I used to smoke a lot of weed - 1/2oz a week at one point and can confirm whilst you won't get in a fight or become aggressive (at least while you are stoned), you won't do very much else either. It is one of the most dangerous drugs as everyone thinks it is harmless - it isn't - it certainly robbed me of motivation, concentration, and energy for years. Factor in the long term psychological effects and it's a pretty vicious combination in the form of something people perceive as benign.

rosstheboss":1dcwbkpj said:
One key part of it is education. I used to smoke a lot of weed - 1/2oz a week at one point and can confirm whilst you won't get in a fight or become aggressive (at least while you are stoned), you won't do very much else either. It is one of the most dangerous drugs as everyone thinks it is harmless - it isn't - it certainly robbed me of motivation, concentration, and energy for years. Factor in the long term psychological effects and it's a pretty vicious combination in the form of something people perceive as benign.

Ditto... from 13 to 35.... bought it, sold it, smoked it, grew it, you name it...... life was pretty much fubar'd during those 20 odd years, and I still struggle from it even now!
However I do know of people who are seemingly outrageously immune to this particular aspect of it... which just isnt fair! :LOL:

G

I tried cannabis as a youth and it had no affect on me whatsoever but my husband BITD suffered from the most extreme form of paranoia I've ever seen, it was really effecting his life, you could not go anywhere with him, even sit in a pub he was just so agitated. I will add he was saved by a housemate that got him into biking and a Muddy Fox Explorer.

I can see the argument for legalisation but it would worry me.

Alisonn

Back