Rediscovering old albums

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
For yonks I've lamented the loss of listening to a complete album. Ever since I got an Ipod I've been flicking merrily through stuff but it does start to get boring when you always end up picking the same tracks till even they grate a bit. Anyway a conversation with a colleague had us reminiscing about getting a new album (which you went to a shop to buy) and sitting listening to the whole thing, maybe even with the lyrics on the inner sleeve, no tv on or pc. This prompted me to exhume the cd collection, pick something from BITD and listen to it as it was meant to be listened too(alas not on the turntable/cd player) just as a complete album, first box I looked through I found REM :Murmur.

220px-R.E.M._-_Murmur.jpg

Got it onto the Ipod and I've spent the last week listening to it, classic REM at their best IMO, every track is a belter. I'm now off to find something else.

So what albums from your collection deserve a dusting down? Do you still listen to albums? CD's/LP's even?

Great album. It and Reckoning my two favorites, along with GREEN.

Going back to listening to records rather than CDs has totally changed our listening habits.

Something much more organic about the whole shebang.

JJ were awesome :) I only have a couple of tracks in itunes and I think all my old stuff is on vinyl. I'll need to trawl for some old cds.

99p ebay bargains for me ;) , did the same with klf, shamen, had to really look hard for a brand new emf cd though :cool:

I like the KLF and I remember seeing the Shaman in a record shop in Glasgow before they became dancey :) EMF.............I'm saying nuthin :LOL:

For absolutely no reason I bought Godfodder by Neds Atomic Dustbin off of the bay last week. Not heard it for 15 years, but F**k me what a belter.

The little bit of space time in my car was distorted straight back to '92.

I still listen to albums, tbh, on iTunes or spotify (love spotify). Only very rarely put it on random play - and only then if I really can't decide what mood I'm in.

Reason I love listening to albums is partly because you get a particular period of that artists progression / sound and so it's consistent and you can get in to it and understand it a bit more and also partly because a lot of albums have a journey about them (and not just 'the wall' ;) ).

Most recent old album I've re-discovered is 'Elastique' by 'Stretch'. Weird album but one I can distinctly remember playing on my dad's record player when I was a kid and hadn't heard in thirty years (is it really that long?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH8kxDtBpo)

phill77":303yblfg said:
For absolutely no reason I bought Godfodder by Neds Atomic Dustbin off of the bay last week. Not heard it for 15 years, but F**k me what a belter.

The little bit of space time in my car was distorted straight back to '92.

haha, i bought this about 6 months back, great fun.

these days i find myself too, turning to the past for my future music. i really struggle to find new sounds that float my goat these days with Ben Folds and Alkaline Trio making the only music that interests me.
i cant bear listening to the radio and have little time to spend searching for the new big thing. i'd rather jus tnove with whats comfortable

today ill be back to backing ben folds albums from my ipod, but NEVER on shuffle. it's not how they were made.

the only time i'll do the shuffle is when i have intruders around for dinner or riding in the forest, as those times the music is just a space filler that im not paying attention to. mostly in the woods it is off though.

recently rediscovered gems for me are dinosaur jr's green mind and sebadoh's bakesale.

Back