Recommend an RC car to start out with

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i have seen there are some enthusiasts of RC cars on here.
i would like to delve into this world at some point, but would like to know where a good place to start out is?
i dont mind a small project, or one that i can upgrade.
prefer electric to the nitro ones.

i know of Tamiya and Caster - i quite like the smaller scales. 1/18 scale that are around at the mo seems like a decent starting point/price point......

whats the deal?

Whatever you get, get lipo and brushless.

Whilst not the cheapest, Traxxas can't be beat for all-in-one packages, virtually unbreakable, and proper parts availability.

Lipo and brushless +1 Schumacher traxxas losi they are the kiddies but go along to a race and get the low down first. I spent close to 2 grand getting a car somewhere near race winner status because I bought the first thing I saw and didn't listen to the experts

SNAKEBITER":3kd1phox said:
Ian Raleigh":3kd1phox said:
Fuel is pricey now.
What is the typical mpg? What is it like on a long run, compared with around town? :D
:LOL:

My last gallon of glow fuel cost me £26 but it lasted about a year :shock:

The last time I took it around a town the Rozzers were on me within minutes! Asking ''Ere mate were did you get that from its mint''

just checked out a video about the HPI savage with LiPo,
looks pretty quick - a little too quick!
i may need something a bit more pedestrian! i quite like the rally/truggy cars.
i definitley want electric, cant be doing with the hassle/expense of getting into fuel powered ones! there's just too much potential to spend even more money there! :p

will keep looking :)

Tamiya and HPI are reliable cars and are very strong.

If you do get an RC don't go mad improving it by fitting 'better looking' plastic things like suspension / wheels
the original nylon ones are the best and poor upgraded suspension will only bend and break.

Buying fans to aid cooling down of the motor...Don't! These fans cool one-side of the motor and can actually ruin a good motor.

Go for a high wattage 540 motor and the best Nicads you can lay your hands on and you will have the bestest fun...EVER.

Seal your receiver in a condom so it doesn't get wet!

Never clean your car down with water! I normally oil all joints after a good blasting down.

Keep the car clean and it will last you years!

FG petrol. Are easy. Just pour the 2 stroke in. Pull the starter and 45 mins of off road fun.

26cc power 1/4 scale. Proper R/C car. Come ready built. Just fit the servos and ready

tintin40":3p6osi2p said:
FG petrol. Are easy. Just pour the 2 stroke in. Pull the starter and 45 mins of off road fun.
26cc power 1/4 scale. Proper R/C car. Come ready built. Just fit the servos and ready

Now tell him how much they are will you, but give him time to sit down first! :shock:

Back