Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: Super Sussex by the Sea
I agree sometimes it is absolutely necessary, but only when it is absolutely necessary, you quite often see people getting a little over eager to defend their position on the road.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 am
Posts: 117
Trouble is though it's better to be over defensive and live rather than compliant and dead.

In cars you scrape paint and break bumpers, on bikes you go under wheels and die.

Which would you rather?

(And the first person who says they would rather me go under the wheels gets a slap! :lol: )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9719
Location: Skipton
Worst bit for me was that IT tit that rode up the middle of the lane just to get in the way. No wonder some of the drivers get a little upset.

Add to this the droid bloke who complained when he nearly got hit even though he was going up the middle of two lanes, both of which were left turns.

I'd like to bet that chap that got smacked in the mouth didn't just give the car a light tap as well. When I was younger I used to go out with some roadies and have seen them give cars a right smack if they got too close.

Good and bad on both sides but some of the goons they rolled out to put the cyclists side across only made things worse imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16747
Location: Yorkshire, England
brocklanders023 wrote:
Worst bit for me was that IT tit that rode up the middle of the lane just to get in the way. No wonder some of the drivers get a little upset.

Add to this the droid bloke who complained when he nearly got hit even though he was going up the middle of two lanes, both of which were left turns.

I'd like to bet that chap that got smacked in the mouth didn't just give the car a light tap as well. When I was younger I used to go out with some roadies and have seen them give cars a right smack if they got too close.

Good and bad on both sides but some of the goons they rolled out to put the cyclists side across only made things worse imo.


I cannot see why people get wound up by a tap on the car, it warns the car driver you are there and they are too close.
Cars are metal and can take it, I know mine can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9719
Location: Skipton
Agreed Fluffy but I've seen people give far more then a light tap and that's my point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 am
Posts: 117
SOme people are very possesive of their car to the point of paranoia, I can understand it as apart from your house it is often the most expensive possesion you have.

It's a bit like knocking a bike over, it's metal and can take it but would you want yours knocked over?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Bournemouth
I enjoyed the programme, and agree that most didn't come out with any credit. I had seen most of the clips on Youtube too.

It won't do anything, but hopefully it showed both groups that they can improve.

I'm thinking of getting a little girls bike now, and spray it white in memory of my sister who was killed while cycling in Holland in 86, and take it to the spot she was killed. Might do it next November on the anniversary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:19 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16747
Location: Yorkshire, England
SNAKEBITER wrote:
SOme people are very possesive of their car to the point of paranoia, I can understand it as apart from your house it is often the most expensive possesion you have.

It's a bit like knocking a bike over, it's metal and can take it but would you want yours knocked over?


Honestly wouldn't bother me. If I was possessive about them I wouldn't be riding or driving it on the roads. I would expect it to get scratches and scrapes on them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:26 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 8658
I was at one point amused that the cycle cop seperating the taxi driver from the cyclist didn't seem to notice the cyclists fixie was somewhat lacking in the brakes department or at least i didn't note any cables coming from the bars or levers on the bars, a clear law violation and suicide in central London :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: UK Southwest
brocklanders023 wrote:
Agreed Fluffy but I've seen people give far more then a light tap and that's my point.


It will sound alot worse than it is when you are in the car too.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group