''War on Britains Roads''

There are perhaps as many bad cyclists as drivers - I dont think this will bring a balance. More likely inflame more tension.

When I am a pedestrian, its a war with cyclists and drivers (to a lesser extent!). Many a time I'll deliberately step out in front of a cyclist when they've run a red light on a crossing.

From the promo, this whole program looks rather alarming!

Last week me and my mate went off a busy main road and decided to use the path which had a lane for cycles and a lanes for peds'
both lanes were big enough for easy passage by peds' but for some reason three oldish folk with their dogs decided to block the
entire path and stops us both!! One woman blurted out ''This is what we pay our council tax for'' - ''For cyclists to be in our way''

I told her we are on here for our safety and have full rights to use them, as always when we use legal paths we travel slowly
and courteously but they seemed to think we should be on a very busy A road, She gave me some abuse, which shocked
me so I gave it back to her, the two other walkers were male and never said a word to us!

JamesM":1owsvc4t said:
If everyone just obeyed the laws it would largely improve the situation.
Your absolutely correct!

I spotted a cycling buddy today who is in proper bike club wears all the correct gear and goes on about wearing a helmet for his safety.

Oh I forgot to say I was in our car and the c*nt went straight through the lights on red!! Shame on my mate :oops:

Cyclist should obey the laws of the road but car drivers should treat cyclist as they treat any other road user.

Most days as I slow down and move to the middle of the road to make a right turn cars carry on overtaking me on the wrong side of the road. They dont do it when I make the exact same move in my car. They could but they don't.

Basic rule when encountering folks these days seems to be...

"If I don't know you, then assume that I hate you."

Makes things very very simple and avoids misunderstandings.

But it's a bloody sad state of affairs.

Ian Raleigh":28f6dfc6 said:
One woman blurted out ''This is what we pay our council tax for'' - ''For cyclists to be in our way''

I don't understand these bizarre comments that people make.

There was a guy on a radio phone in, around the time Wiggo got knocked off, his comment was "They don't pay road tax (yawn) and they look weird cos they wear tight lycra". WTF is that all about?

Why don't these people just say what they really think 'I want this for myself and I don't want anyone else using it', that is in effect what that woman and the guy on the radio were saying.

We get the same crap when riding horses on the road, all the 'you don't pay road tax' and 'you should be on paths' what that really means is' this is MY road, get the fcuk off of it'.

Crazy crazy world :roll:

dbmtb":37mhyglb said:
Basic rule when encountering folks these days seems to be...

"If I don't know you, then assume that I hate you."

But it's a bloody sad state of affairs.

Dead right. On a day to day basis, at best, I fend off this mentality by being approachable and cheerful. At worst, I want to get on a plane and not return!

I've travelled & lived in Europe & Australia and in my experience I have found the cycling is better from numerous perspectives. Weather is more conducive to being outdoors and most importantly of all, the people you share these things with are, by and large, nicer!

I suspect this programme will cause people to be more divisive not united. :cry:

Back