Green Energy / Solar Panel / Replacement boiler Companies

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Are there any reliable companies worth talking to?

My existing oil fired boiler is over 15 years old and in any case is probably too small so, as I am actually contemplating replacing the boiler, I respond to some of the endless canvassing and make appointments for so called boiler experts and green energy suppliers to come and assesss the job and supply quotations.

So far 1 no show; 1 turned up late, knew I was in the house because he could see the dogs in the car but tapped on the door rather than rang the bell (which is why the bell is fitted ) didn't phone although he had my number and now wants to pop round at the weekend! The last rang to confirm that my wife was in and when informed she wasn't, cancelled the appointment as it is "Company Policy"!

What a waste of a day off - well ok I arranged to work from home.

The chimney sweep however arrived on time did a great job i.e. no mess and fitted anti bird mesh foc!

Are there any reliable companies worth talking to or is it all a lottery?

After two successive boiler installations over the past 10 years, both in some way unsatisfactory, I personally would use British Gas next time.

hamster":20cblcb3 said:
After two successive boiler installations over the past 10 years, both in some way unsatisfactory, I personally would use British Gas next time.

Never crossed my mind that they do oil!

Really cannot comment on companies in your particular area, but if you are seriously considering replacement of oil fired for something along the green front, and you have space to do so, you should really consider biomass as an alternative....

simple powedered wood pellets, 100% carbon neutral (emission during burn vs absorption during growth), and with the Green Deal funding in conjunction with The Renewable Heat Incentive, you get paid quite handsomely for every Kwh of heat you generate, guaranteed, for 20 years

Installation costs are a bit higher than regular systems, but running costs are comparable to gas and cheaper than oil... just ensure that the installer is MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) accredited (not necessary for installations over a certain size... I forget how big... but definately essential for domestic systems. You cannot claim th RHI payments without it)!

G

We're burning wood pellets..... And it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives - for now (until the Danish state finds a way of taxing us more). We also have solar panels for water heating.

Our house is 158m2 with an additional 100m2 of basement and we're burning through about a ton of pellets each month in the winter. Solar panels have brought the consumption down by approx 40%.

This summer was so crap we had to fire the pellet burner up to get the hot water up to temperature to take a shower - but the year before it was off from April to October.

Don't believe the companies but..ask the local advice centre and the local council

the reason is that sometimes when you go eco like wood and pellet/solar water heating then there are grants and free money to be had..with checking before you spend a penny

Wood pellets have been huge in Europe for years.... in makes no sense why the UK is so far behind.

At work, we are installing a 200kw biomass system that is costing us the best part of £130k. When I looked for a UK based manufacturer, all I got were huge, clunky smoke belching Brunelian thangs that wouldnt have looked out of place in the bowels of the SS Great Britain. By contrast, the Austro-Germanic manufacturers make small, efficient, quiet, clean fantastic looking things

With the RHI payments, we will generating an income of around £25,000 per year, just from heating the factory/offices to the same degree as with the current gas systems

No brainer really

G

The main problem in the UK is that we are about the least wooded country in Europe, so the wood fuel is harder to come by unless you have a decent supply set up locally.
We also have had successive governments who sadly think short-term and don't give a stuff. :roll:

Thanks for all the comments - please keep them coming.

A quick search shows there is a Pellet supplier 30 miles away so this may be an option.

I need to do further research.

Back