Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:32 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Tredavoe, Cornwall
highlandsflyer wrote:
Footnote.

Sea Sick Steve could not wipe the piss off Clapton's toilet as a player.


Point missed again!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ncE-h48UA


al. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 5785
Location: Lost in Translation
highlandsflyer wrote:
Sea Sick Steve could not wipe the piss off Clapton's toilet as a player.

Seasick Steve has more rock'n'roll in his little finger than Eric has in his entire left hand. Clapton may have technique ... but he's so dull!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:19 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:24 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Wales, United Kingdom
highlandsflyer wrote:
Footnote.

Sea Sick Steve could not wipe the piss off Clapton's toilet as a player.


In terms of technique, no. In terms of feel, quite possibly.

The two are worlds apart, musically and stylistically. Seasick Steve is far more rootsy (favouring a Country Blues/Delta sound that's decidedly lo-fi in it's approach and highly rhythm orientated) whilst I find Clapton generally aires on a more Chicago Blues style (favouring electric guitar and a more 'modern' blues sound with emphasis on the solo'ing) Both are good artists, although I favour Seasick Steve as I'm a great fan of Country Blues, in particular North Mississippi Hill Country Blues.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 pm
Posts: 733
Location: The FoD.
RustyGold wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:
Footnote.

Sea Sick Steve could not wipe the piss off Clapton's toilet as a player.


In terms of technique, no. In terms of feel, quite possibly.

The two are worlds apart, musically and stylistically. Seasick Steve is far more rootsy (favouring a Country Blues/Delta sound that's decidedly lo-fi in it's approach and highly rhythm orientated) whilst I find Clapton generally aires on a more Chicago Blues style (favouring electric guitar and a more 'modern' blues sound with emphasis on the solo'ing) Both are good artists, although I favour Seasick Steve as I'm a great fan of Country Blues, in particular North Mississippi Hill Country Blues.


Calpton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues' :wink:
I try not to listen to anything Eric has done since the 80's!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:24 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Wales, United Kingdom
mass199 wrote:

Clapton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues' :wink:
I try not to listen to anything Eric has done since the 80's!


True, having said that Clapton will pretty much employ any lick/riff from any blues artist, he knows 'em all. Having said that, I hear a lot more B.B.King, Albert King and Freddy King for that matter in his playing than any Robert Johnson (aside from his cover album :roll:). To me he has a far more 'electric' blues style/touch ala Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Shines, etc...than that of Robert Johnson's complex finger-picking delta approach.

Likewise on the eighties Clapton reference :wink:. Although, I think he peaked in Cream, maybe Blind Faith at a push :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 5785
Location: Lost in Translation
mass199 wrote:
Calpton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues'

Johnson - played fingerstyle with a slide, accompanied himself, raw, edgy, energetic, threatening.

Clapton - plays mostly electric, with a pick, in a band, smooth, radio-friendly, white-bread, and dull.

I have a very hard time seeing the connection.

There's certainly a market for what Eric does, but there are so many others who do it so much better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:16 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 pm
Posts: 733
Location: The FoD.
RustyGold wrote:
mass199 wrote:

Clapton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues' :wink:
I try not to listen to anything Eric has done since the 80's!


True, having said that Clapton will pretty much employ any lick/riff from any blues artist, he knows 'em all. Having said that, I hear a lot more B.B.King, Albert King and Freddy King for that matter in his playing than any Robert Johnson (aside from his cover album :roll:). To me he has a far more 'electric' blues style/touch ala Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Shines, etc...than that of Robert Johnson's complex finger-picking delta approach.

Likewise on the eighties Clapton reference :wink:. Although, I think he peaked in Cream, maybe Blind Faith at a push :wink:


I guess he was trying to be as good as Jimi :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 pm
Posts: 733
Location: The FoD.
one-eyed_jim wrote:
mass199 wrote:
Calpton's biggest influence was Robert Johnson 'King of the Delta Blues'

Johnson - played fingerstyle with a slide, accompanied himself, raw, edgy, energetic, threatening.

Clapton - plays mostly electric, with a pick, in a band, smooth, radio-friendly, white-bread, and dull.

I have a very hard time seeing the connection.

There's certainly a market for what Eric does, but there are so many others who do it so much better.


I know what they do/did but Johnson is his biggest influence, I was stating a fact :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:12 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
What you have here, essentially, are two whyte boys aping the blues.

One was doing it out of obsessive admiration, and thanks to amazing technique and FEEL became one of the most significant players of several generations; whose influence aided the promotion of what are now bona fide blues legends. That is beyond question.

The other is a late entry retro style player who is bringing nothing to the table except his whiteness, and his admittedly charming sense of humour. If he was all that, where the hell was he the last thirty years?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:24 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Wales, United Kingdom
highlandsflyer wrote:
If he was all that, where the hell was he the last thirty years?


Whilst I generally agree with you regarding Seasick Steve, he isn't the best example of technique although he does exude a certain lo-fi charm. It's worth noting, however, that there's a history of 'forgotten' Blues artists who went through long periods of inactivity. A great portion of the blues artists we now regard with reverence were forgotten for large portions of time, or didn't record until their forties/fifties.

A great many blues artists were recorded Pre-War and then simply forgotten or were rendered inactive when consumers tastes changed and sales tailed off, only to be re-discovered in the blues boom of the fifties/sixties - a few names that spring to mind; Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James, Son House, Booker 'Bukka' White, etc..

Many of the Hill Country Blues artists weren't recorded until later in their lives; R.L Burnside, Junior Kimborough, T-Model Ford, etc..

Just some food for thought :).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FairfaxPat, godders, longun, Mr Crudley, unkleGsif, videojetman, xerxes, xxnick1975 and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group