St Johns First Aid course

Retro Cat

Senior Retro Guru
Afternoon

Despite being put in the recovery position by a fat man rather than the yummy mummy who I strategically sat next to I really would recommend doing a first aid course - learnt so much over the 2 and a half hours.

As long as it does not mean you'll become all over the top in an emergency. Friend of my son, was about 12, and fell over in the playground getting a small cut on the forehead, a fellow mother rushed over placed him in the recovery position to await an ambulance, his tiny cut got two steristrips. She had just completed one of these courses.

Yes everyone should really do some kind of first-aid course especially useful if you have children but it was funny how she responded to it so OTT.

Alison

If your unemployed the office maybe able to get this training for you for free which might help with future employment

Isaac_AG":1mebdogn said:
As long as it does not mean you'll become all over the top in an emergency. Friend of my son, was about 12, and fell over in the playground getting a small cut on the forehead, a fellow mother rushed over placed him in the recovery position to await an ambulance, his tiny cut got two steristrips. She had just completed one of these courses.

Yes everyone should really do some kind of first-aid course especially useful if you have children but it was funny how she responded to it so OTT.

Alison

Yikes! My course had a special head injury section (15 mins) she must've been out doing a very big poo to miss that bit :-(

Remote Emergency Care First Aid courses highly suitable for MTB'rs and having had to hold all sorts of first aid tickets it is the best yet IMHO
I did mine with this guy who it turned out used to be well into Retrobikes but then he had kids :shock:
http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/

As a voluneer paramedic I'd also recommend paricipating in such a course, for whatever reason bikers always make good patients ... I had so many that I have stopped counting years ago. Also having some first aid materials with you when biking is never a bad idea.

Regards from Vienna

Mathias

I've been qualified for the first aid at work course (three day course) for about 6 years now and it's great, thankfully I've never had to use it at work, but I've had to use the training in a few other instances in civvy street as it were, it's definitely worth doing, even if only for piece of mind.
A good example was at the Big Bike Bash this year where a 7 or 8yo boy had been smashed in the face by another kid dancing around in front of him with a bike hat on, totally accidental of course, but this kid was screaming and covered in blood, his dad looked mortified and generally people were looking at them going "f*cking hell!" No one was really helping out even when he asked for a first aider, I was queueing for beer, saw what was happening and went over. All it took was a couple of beer towels and some reassurance and the boy and his dad were ok(thinking about it the dad looked like he was sh*tting it more than his son!), not sure how he explained it to his wife/the boy's mother though!
Being in the right place at the right time knowing what the right thing to do is worth it's weight in gold, especially when it could potentially save someone's life.

We do the one day course for "appointed person" at work defo worth doing, as with others, havent had to use it as accidents at work are now very few and far between thankfully :D

Mick :)

We will be running outdoor first aid courses very soon, these are two day courses and the minimum requirement for those who are looking to obtain an out door qualification such as mountain leader etc.

Drop me a pm if interested

Retro Cat":2lrh3mzd said:
Afternoon

Despite being put in the recovery position by a fat man rather than the yummy mummy who I strategically sat next to I really would recommend doing a first aid course - learnt so much over the 2 and a half hours.

+1 to that, well worth doing. Mine was the British Red Cross one rather than St. Ann's Jombulance [1], did the original back in '08 and a refresher last summer. Even had cause to use some of the "how to treat burns" knowledge myself at home once (top flew off the liquidiser and showered my hands with boiling hot, thick soup) to good effect. :shock:

David

[1] Anyone who's listened to Radio 4 "in the comfort of their own bungalow homes" will get the reference. ;)

Back