Tires that inspired.......

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
What top tires over the years have inspired and improved your ride......?
(As this covers pre 97/post 98 i've put in general)

For me it has to be these......there have been others but these were such good all rounders coping in so many changing conditions.....

1. Panaracer smoke
2. IRC V-Claw
3. Tioga Psycho 1 (not 2)
4. Ritchey Z -max
5. Panaracer Trail blaster
6. Schwalbe black jack

I was convinced that White Onza Porcupines made me a ride like a god. Then I crashed down a cliff and landed in a hawthorn bush.

Specialized Ground Control's were the business though.

Oh...... Tyres!! ;)

Anything lightweight with a modicom of grip usually, or something that compliments the bikes look or era.

al.

Smoke, ruler of all tyres :)
my fav combo years ago, psyco on front, smoke light on rear
later, irc mythos up front, michilin lite s on rear.
for DH ran a pile of hutchisons, ran a few depending on the terrain, can't remember the names.
never really got on with porcs, or the dart.

WTB Velociraptors

Favourite tyre, always feel confident on them on most terrain unlike Onza Porcs which scared the poo out of me :shock:

In the early days it was the Smoke and Dart combo in 2.2"

The later days were much more technical, I use to turn up at a race with a few options lol. For the most part it was Tioga XC for general, Panaracer Mud for the real muddy races and Michilin Wildgripper slicks for hard pack. In the summer I would use the narrowest I could get away with for the extra speed (I weighed a lot less back then)

To be honest, apart from the obvious difference between 'wet' and 'dry' tyres I can't seem to tell the difference. I'm average on any tyres.

That said I loved my Farmer Johns and Cousins.

Smokes, as long as you never ever ever have to ride on wet tarmac. Ever

(several hours later when I got home I had to sit in the bath to soak my legs, so that my jeans came free from the 3" round scab on my hip. Still my best ever scar, lasted about 10 years)

Psycho 1s for me - I learned to properly 'ride' on them, and never rode a trail they didn't cope with.

Latest posts

Back